Sealing AC unit from outside

Old 12-20-13, 02:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sealing AC unit from outside

Hello folks,

I live in a rented apartment, where one AC unit is installed by the landlord and other unit is installed by some previous renter. The renter installed unit is smaller in size than the whole in the wall and seeps air through it. My utility bill during winter goes to about $400/month, inspite of maintaining it at 60F for various other leaks.

I would like to seal this AC unit from outside (Inside sealing isn't working as much I would like it to work) I sealed one unit

But I am unable to seal the other (leaky) unit

The primary reason for this failure is the wind. It sort of creates a tunnel effect in that area of the building and it rips open the sealing. What other options do I have that will hold wind and ice.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-13, 01:36 PM
I'm no expert but perhaps you can put cardboard on the side of those fins and in the empty area use spray foam to fill it up.

Old 12-20-13, 09:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

First thing..... DO NOT use any spray foam around the air conditioner.

Since that is not the correct unit for that sleeve it must be used just like you see it in the summer as it expels hot air from the sides. Anything you do needs to be put on temporarily for the cold weather only.

I know exactly how I would fix it. I'd pickup a piece of either 1/2" or 5/8" plywood. I'd cut it at least four inches taller and wider than the opening. You may not be able to leave that much at the top with that cement coping there. I'd paint the wood a nice color. I'd put self stick foam all around the edge of the board on the inside so that it will contact the brick. Drill two holes in the wood and then into the brick and install anchors.

I would use hanger bolts with wing nuts into plastic or lead anchors.

Name:  Hanger_bolt.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  10.6 KBName:  AC_Not_Sealed.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  15.6 KB
Hanger bolt

Old 12-30-13, 03:24 AM
@PJMax,

Many thanks for the suggestion.

I thought on the same lines, but the development manager refused because 'it looks ugly' and such modifications are not allowed in the contract. And since this unit is not installed by the development, they don't care what happens there.

I actually considered using Spray foam from indoors, because I got AC cover from The Home Depot and it works pretty well, except where the wire comes out of the unit, there is some fine leak there. I tried to use duct tape, plastic and what not to cover that leak but it would not budge, so spray foam was my last option. Honestly, I don't care if that AC unit falls apart eventually, because that unit is used very rarely (not just rarely, but very rarely). Why do you suggest not to use Spray foam near AC unit?

Old 12-30-13, 11:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Why do you suggest not to use Spray foam near AC unit?
If you had the correct unit in that sleeve...... it would draw fresh air in and exhaust heat out the end.

Since you have a unit just stuck in the casing...... it draws fresh air in from the sides and blows the hot air out the back. If you spray foam the side it will not breath and will not operate correctly.