heater not blowing warm air until I reset at the eletrical panel

Old 12-23-13, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
heater not blowing warm air until I reset at the eletrical panel

my girlfriends heater stopped blowing warm air during a winter storm. I noticed that the motor had fallen through the drilled holes in the top of the unit. I resecured the motor with another nut on one of the bolts sticking through the top. It did start spinning again after this was fixed, but however, the air will turn from warm to cool air and when I go out to check the unit outside, the motor has stopped. So it will contuinue to blow cool air until i reset the breaker. after that, I check the unit and the motor is turning and the air is warm,but this will happen off and on during the day so we have just turned it off and use space heaters for now. I have noticed that when the motor is not turning and the air is blowing cold, I can hear the unit buzzing really loud like it is still working but the motor is not running, so we turn it off at the breaker. Is there something I can do about this? Is this a clue that the motor is going bad? thanks...Kenny in Dallas

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-13, 10:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
Welcome to the forums.... Kenny in Dallas

You have a heat pump system there. The compressor unit extracts heat from outside and delivers it to the inside. When the outside air gets cold and humid, ice will start forming on the outside coil. The compressor unit either by a preset timer or amount of ice will change the system back over to A/C. It will shut off the outside fan and keep the compressor running. During this process it extracts heat from the inside and uses it at the compressor to unthaw the coils.

That's why it feels like it's blowing cold air inside. Normally, during this defrosting cycle the system will turn on the electric re-heat coils inside the air handler to counteract the cold air and keep the air warm. When the defrost cycle is done... the unit goes back to heating mode, the outside fan restarts and the electric coils shut off.

If you aren't getting warm air during the defrost cycle then your electric coils aren't working.

You haven't told us much about your system like brand or model.
Does your thermostat have an emergency heat position on it ?

Old 12-26-13, 05:18 PM
Ok after a little investigating...I have a TraneXE1200 weatheritron heat pump. I dont see an emergency heat setting on the thermostat....its a LUXTX 9000TS thermostat. Ive seen on other posts that a Hum...may be because the contactor is not energized to close. I have heard the HUM from this unit. could the contactor be the root caues? Id rather replace the contactor than the motor first right? just to make sure. I have written all the specs down from the motor and looked up online for replacement parts. doesnt seem to be "that" expensive. Im hoping the information will be helpful...if you would like any additional information,please let me know.

Old 12-27-13, 05:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Google heat pump defrost cycle video to see and hear what a heat pump does in the defrost cycle.

Your symptoms sound very much like the normal operation of a heat pump.
It sounds like the outdoor unit is functioning correctly but you are not getting heat strip operation during defrost cycle.

This does not sound like you need a motor.
Do you have a multimeter?

Old 12-29-13, 10:35 AM
heat pump

Yes i do have a multimeter..I can measure voltage, just let me know how and where I need to measure it from.

Old 12-30-13, 06:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
You should get 24 volts AC between X2 and C when your unit goes into the defrost cycle. X2 energizes the electric heat strips in the air handler to help heat while the unit is in defrost mode.

This XE1000 diagram illustrates this better...

Pictures can be posted on this site using photbucket.com
Post a few pics of the wire connections at the heat pump and air handler for better assistance. Posting the air handler model number and heat strip model number would also aid in diagnosing this problem.