Air Conditioner - split system - wet mouldy smell

Old 12-27-13, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Air Conditioner - split system - wet mouldy smell

Hi there. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.

I have an LG reverse cycle, split system air conditioner that works brilliantly, except for about the first 10 mins or so whenever I turn it on - it emits a terrible mouldy, old "wet towel" smell. Then it seems to be okay. Whatever the problem is, it's not random....it happens every time. I spoke to someone at a hardware store for some advice, and he told me that since it's a split system unit, the air circulating in/around the outside cooling coils does not mix with the air circulating through the indoor part of the unit. He told me (rightly or wrongly) that whatever is causing the smell is related to the indoor part of the unit only, not the outdoor section. I've already cleaned out the removable filters, so they're not the problem (they hardly had any dust on them anyway). The smell isn't any sort of electrical/burning smell, so it's not likely to be any sort of electrical fault. The unit has an electrical Plasma function designed to kill bacteria which I use regularly now, but I haven't noticed any real change in that first 10 min or so period.

Any advice before I have to pay $hundreds$ for a technician straight up....or before I call LG, who will tell me call a $technician$?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-13, 06:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
100 % sure the condenser lines not plugged up? In A/C mode you should see condensation dripping outside.

Old 12-28-13, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I've experienced the issue of a blocked drainage line with an old, single system, wall unit. Was "relatively" easy to fix. But with this split-system unit, I don't know if the drainage is blocked....yet.. But I will be on the lookout for it. But if does turn out to be blocked, I don't know how to clear it.

Old 12-28-13, 06:17 AM
Posting a model # might help so we can see what your seeing.

Old 12-28-13, 07:36 PM
Sure, no problem.

LG reverse cycle, split system air conditioner -

R24AWN-UC10
ASUW246CU1
(You may need to swaps I's for 1's, or vice versa)

I've recently made inquiries to obtained detailed instruction manuals and diagram schematics.

Any advice? I'm all ears.

Old 01-10-14, 12:24 AM
remove the filters from the indoor unit then take photo of the indoor unit
then upload it to us

Last edited by hvacguru; 01-10-14 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-11-14, 04:58 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Good luck. LG is a low end brand in the states. I won't even sell there ductless splits

Old 01-17-14, 12:02 AM
Do not know about LG , but a typical " American " split system has the " A-Coil " ( cooling coil ) on top of the furnace . There should be a drain pan made around its bottom , to catch the condensate . ( I know I may not be saying this correctly . ) With a pipe fitting in it , where the condensate drain line connects .

The whole unit needs to be level , or SLIGHTLY tilted towards the drain fitting , to facilitate condensate flowing out the drain line .

Next , the drain line some times stops up . Often they may be blown out with compressed air .

Check these things .

God bless
Wyr