How often capacitor change?

Old 01-16-14, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How often capacitor change?

I have an old payne 1991. I changed the capacitor in 2008 and then again in 2013. I am not sure if I bought a cheap capacitor in 2008 resulting me have to replace it again last summer. The original that came with it was a GE. That seems to have lasted.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-14, 11:53 PM
In a typical residential single phase condenser unit , there is a capacitor for the condenser fan and one for the compressor . Some times , both are physically built into one device .

Do you know which you replaced ?

Some condensers also come with a factory installed " hard start " kit . Some do not .

I am told , as a condenser gets older , it can have a more difficult time starting . That may be what is happening ?

If your condenser does not presently have a " hard start " kit , it might benefit from one ?

When I need a condenser , I go down to Johnstone Supply or W W Granger and buy one . They are not that $$$ . I have a spare here at the house , in case one goes out over the weekend .

God bless
Wyr

Old 01-17-14, 03:05 AM
Thank you for your reply. It is the capacitor for the condenser. I recently changed the capacitor for the blower too. Yes, there has been a hard start kit installed twice. The cap on the first one blew off after a year. I am not sure if that hard start was a defective. I have only used supco spp6.

Also, I don't mean to correct you but do you mean capacitor instead of condenser: "When I need a condenser"

What brand do you buy? I am about to order 2 capacitors(Packard) from Amazon.

Thanks

Old 01-17-14, 03:31 AM
Condenser is referring to the entire unit that sits outside that receives the vaporized refrigerant ( in the larger copper line ) from the evaporator coil ( at the furnace / inside fan unit ) . It condenses the refrigerant and returns it as a liquid refrigeranr , via the smaller copper line .

Yes , the term condenser is sometimes used for a capacitor .

You have a capacitor for the compressor ( inside the condenser ) and for the outside fan ( inside the condenser ) .

You may or may not have a capacitor for the indoor fan motor .

I have no idea what brand of capacitor , I have bought . What ever brand or brands Johnstone Supply or W W Granger sells .

My condenser unit had 2 capacitor built in one device / unit . First , one " half " went bad . I bought a single capacitor to replace that " half " . Some time latter , the rest of the original went bad . I bought a second , single , capacitor to replace that " half " . So it now has 2 seperate capacitors , one for the compressor and one for the out door fan .

Sorry for the confusion . :-(

God bless
Wyr