A/C system won't turn off until breaker is shut off.

Old 01-22-14, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question A/C system won't turn off until breaker is shut off.

I recently moved in with my granddad to take care of him and noticed at first the unit was not turning off. After opening up the unit I found that the time delay relay was fried. So I replaced it and that seemed to fix the issue. Now that its gotten cold I was having problems with the heating coil coming on. So I went back out after purchasing a multimeter and found that there was a loose wire in the breaker that controlled the heating elements. Fixed that yesterday and the unit worked fine until I woke up to the a/c running but not the heating elements. While testing the wires from the power supply to the heat sequencer (getting a very low reading) a screwdriver fell and hit the plate where th sequencer is mounted and the coil kicked on. But, after all that I went back inside and the a/c ran beyond 72 on up to 80 and wouldn't stop running. So I turned off the breaker and turned it back on to find that when I do even with the t-stat in the off position the unit turns on and doesn't even use the time delay. What do I need to do???

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-14, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums...

I am not an HVAC guy so cant answer your question directly...

There are many here that will answer shortly if not later on today, so stand by...

Old 01-22-14, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
You posted in the air conditioning forum but it doesn't sound like you have an A/C problem.

Do you have a heat pump system.. that's where the outside compressor would run during the winter ?

A make and model of air handler/furnace would be a big help.
It sounds like the short damaged the sequencer control causing it to stay locked on.

Old 01-22-14, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No I have an electric fan and coil unit with an electric heating element, and a condincing unit. The only identifying marker is on the condincing unit Armstrong air the model #on the fan and coil unit is MB12CA-1A. The heating element model# AHSA10A-1A.