Wall unit thermostat bad location, keeps shutting ac off, need help to mod.

Old 01-28-14, 06:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall unit thermostat bad location, keeps shutting ac off, need help to mod.

Hi all

I have this LG wall unit
and on mild warm humid nights the compressor keeps shutting off & just blows non cold air, and as a result the room is warm especially the other side. I assume the thermostat is placed badly. Basically the area near the ac is cold but the room is warm.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25635[/ATTACH] Is the bulb the only area that reads temp or the whole wire? Can I bend this wire be bent without damaging it & the reading? Can extensions be mad to the length?

I tried holding my fingers on this for 5mins but the ac doesn't stay on long.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-14, 06:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Trying to figure out where it is warm this time of year, since your profile didn't say where you are from, and it is snowing here . The thermostat is properly placed, and it is in the "return" portion of the unit, not the supply side. It has to measure the returning air in order for it to operate properly. Have you adjusted the projection of the outlets for a more uniform air circulation? Do you have the return cover in place when it is operating? Do you have the recirculation feature activated?

Old 01-28-14, 02:46 PM
Hi & thanks for the reply.

I'm in Australia & after we get a heat wave the outside is cool about 20-23 degrees C. Yet inside my room it's 25-26 & warm. The house itself is warm & so you can feel the heat, my dekstop screen is too warm you can feel it on your face. Clearly this air con is only good during warm days but almost useless on cooler nights after a cool change. Id like to move the thermostat to the inside of my room & see how it goes.

The outlets are faced tword me & my dekstop since large screens get warm. I have the return cover in place. And I have the recirculation feature activated.

But the grill which is next to the thermostat is cold & most likely causing the thermostat to think the return air is colder than it is. I think its a bad area & must be put in my room at least. plus this constant silly ac off/ ac on is probably wearing out the unit more.

Thanks.

Old 01-28-14, 03:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You won't be able to move the Bourdon tube thermostat from where it is. It is a sealed unit. Turn the supply vents away from the unit, either up or down or sideways to make the cooler air move in a different direction. If you are getting frost on the inside, then you need to go to outside air and not have it on recirculation.

Old 01-28-14, 06:17 PM
Hi.

Can you tell me a bit about this type of thermostat? Does the temp reading come from the bulb or the whole wire? Is it hollow with something in it?

After a while of just blowing air, I can reactivate the ac by turning the dial back & forth a bit. Clearly this type of thermostat is an inaccurate way to maintain the temp. There is a delay or lag with the room temp & the ac kicking in.

Guess I shouldn't have brought a wall unit. Any other suggestions on a quick reacting accurate air con?

Thanks