Am I missing something... seriously?

Old 01-29-14, 06:02 PM
Am I missing something... seriously?

Good evening-
I recently purchased a 30 year old home that has hybrid heating which includes heat pumps and an oil burner. The equipment is all rather old (20 year and some original) including the thermostats. The heat in the house seems to auto switch between heat pump and oil. Above 40 degrees the heat pumps turn on, below that oil is used.

There are 2 zones in the home and I was hoping to replace both thermostats with something programmable and being a tech geek I was looking into zwave. With that said many of the installation instructions I read talk about having to move a wire in the zone panel because I don't have a "C" wire on the current thermostat. The issue is I can't seem to find the zone panel anywhere in the mechanical room. Most that I have seen online seem mounted on the furnace itself, so that is where I assumed it would be. Is it possible understanding everything I mentioned above to not have a zone panel?

The thermostats I am hoping to get are:
Honeywell TH8320ZW1007

I have attached a picture of my existing thermostat and pictures of my furnace. Do you see the zone panel?

I reached out to Honeywell about the wiring and they stated the following... does this sound correct? :
R=R, O=O/B, G=G, Y=Y, X2=AUX/E, B=B. The wire that had gone to T will be taped off. Do not connect this to the new thermostat. The wire that had gone to W would connect to the AUX/E with the wire that had gone to X2 if an HZ432 zone panel is used. Then the W2 and W1/E would need to be jumped on that zone of the zone panel. If it is a different zone panel we would need to know the model number of the zone panel to determine if this wire is used or if the zone panel needs to be set for stage 2 control through zone panel timer.

Again if I don't have a zone panel how can I do this?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

Attached Images     

Last edited by Christopher112; 01-29-14 at 06:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-14, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Yes.... you are indeed missing something..... a furnace

What those pictures show is an oil fired water boiler. The air conditioner/heat pump is not at this location.

You may have a heat pump system with a hot water coil. That would be pretty strange.
Do you have hot water baseboard radiators in your house ?
You may have baseboard heat with an air handler in the attic for the heatpump.

You'll need to look around and see what piece of equipment has duct work attached to it.

Old 01-29-14, 07:02 PM
Hi-

Yes there is hot water baseboard in addition to the forced air from the heat pumps. The hot water baseboard is what kicks on below 40 degrees and is used by the oil heat.

I have an air handler in the basement and the attic, again for the 2 zones and 2 heat pumps outside.. I'm fairly confident that what I included in my pictures manages the hot water baseboards as my oil tank ran dry one night and I had no heat from the baseboards. I had the tank filled and had to bleed the line to get the burner to turn back on and generate heat again on the baseboards.

With that said, I believe the air handlers are specific to just the heat pumps (one in attic and basement), and the boiler is obviously for hot water and the hot water baseboards..

Any thoughts on the rest of the questions though regarding the zone panel and thermostat?

Thanks

Old 01-31-14, 05:07 PM
Also I found the attached document in the attic near the air handler.. does this help at all?

Attached Images  
Old 01-31-14, 07:37 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.... hang in there we'll get this straightened out.

Yes....the boiler in your pictures just runs the baseboards.

Since you have two heat pump systems..... there is no zone control board.
One thermostat controls each heat pump.

Is there baseboard heating just on the first floor ?
If yes..... then the thermostat on the first floor needs to control the boiler and the heat pump while the second floor thermostat controls just the heat pump.

In looking at your pics.... I think I see two circulator pumps which may mean more than one heat zone.

We should be able to get you a C terminal from the heat pump units.

Old 01-31-14, 07:41 PM
Thanks.. Yup there are for sure 2 zones and baseboard on each floor. Each thermostat controls both the baseboard but separate heat pumps outside.

With that said, what are your thoughts on the thermostat and the instructions honeywell provided? In the end I just want to get the programmable thermostats installed correctly.

Old 01-31-14, 09:31 PM
Group Moderator
We're going to have to get the forum pros involved here.

You'll need to get two thermostats that can control a heat pump and a zone of baseboard heat. That isn't a problem but you'll need to have it setup so that the oil takes over when the heat pumps can't keep up. I'm guessing that point will need to be settable and a thermostat with an outside temp sensor may be required..... plus you want WiFi type units.

The thermostats I am hoping to get are: Honeywell TH8320ZW1007
Let Jay or Houston, the forum pros, respond.........