what can it be for Lennox Air Handler noise/smell (2006 model)?

Old 01-30-14, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what can it be for Lennox Air Handler noise/smell (2006 model)?

I have a house (1800sqft) with 3T Lennox heat pump in Dallas. With cold weather lately, tenant noticed some noise from inside unit in the middle of
night. they also noticed some smell in the morning. both were one time deal.

we sent out HVAC tech the second day. Everything checked out normal (air handler capacitor is 13 out of 15). they suspected the blower motor is failing. But I find it hard to believe. This is 2006 unit and it's been running perfectly fine.

Based on my research, it's possible either emergency heat or defrost can cause this. But I'm not sure.

can you guys comment on the one time noise and smell. Note it's inside unit (air handler) and the heater has been in use for a while except temp got pretty low lately. It's 100% electric. There is no gas usage for the house at all.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-14, 02:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 327 Votes on 306 Posts
Usually once the system has been up and running for a while.... yours has been years..... the electric heating wire won't smell. You didn't describe what the smell was but if it's a burning smell and noise was heard from the bottom of the unit..... it could very well be the blower motor.