Split system compressor won't shut off

Old 02-04-14, 06:02 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Split system compressor won't shut off

Hey all

I live in South Florida and last week we had a few rainy and cold days. I have a Haier 1 ton split system in one room of my house. One day last week I shut the indoor blower off but unbeknown to me the compressor outside did not shut off. The next day there was 1/2 inch ice build up on the inside unit. I defrosted everything and left the unit sit for a few days after flipping the breaker. Now when I turn it on the compressor constantly runs even with the inside unit off. I can turn the inside unit on and select fan or heat mode and I still get cold air blowing through.

I've found similar examples but not for split systems. In those examples they talk about a contact in the compressor unit getting stuck. I've no idea if these split systems have them. Guessing they do. There is an electric cable that feeds the inside unit from the compressor. I've checked the wires are tight, which they are.

Any thoughts on what this can be?

Here is a pic of inside the unit. That little black box feeds the fan. Maybe that's the contact?

Name:  20140204_091745.jpg
Views: 11005
Size:  46.2 KB

Thanks.

Last edited by mrl72; 02-04-14 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-04-14, 08:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
If this a mini split it may not have a contactor.

Old 02-04-14, 08:20 AM
M
Yeah it's a mini split.

If there's no contact wonder why the inside unit is not powering down the outside unit when I hit the power on the remote. This shouldn't be a thermostat issue right? This is physically powering it off, versus it being triggered by the thermostat.

Old 02-05-14, 07:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
The compressor wiring might be connected directly to a circuit board.

Mini split systems are probably the least serviceable option to heat and cool your house. Many techs will walk away from them. Be sure to mention that you have a mini split when you call for service.

Old 03-15-14, 06:21 AM
K
Hey Guys! Were you able to fix your AC problem regarding your compressor unit that won't shut off and that the temperature does not change? If so, what did you do to fix the problem?

I have exactly the same issue with my Carrier mini Split system.

Looking forward to your reply (solution).

Good Day!

Last edited by KidKalikot; 03-15-14 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-16-14, 03:19 AM
W
The device that looks like an aluminum can is a capacitor , probably for the compressor . The little black rectangular device beside it ? Difficult for me to read , but I think it says 6 micro farads 250 volt ? If so , that is probably for the fan , another capacitor .

Is that a terminal strip several wires are plugged into ?

There are probably other electrical / electronic components ? Any chance for more pics ?

God bless
Wyr

Old 04-03-14, 12:24 PM
M
Hey all

As an update I replaced the control board in the indoor unit and all is working fine now... sort of...

While the indoor unit is now turning the outside fan on/off, the coils in the indoor unit are not getting cold. I checked the pipes at the outdoor unit the smaller (liquid) is freezing cold but the bigger pipe (gas) is warm. Does this mean either I need a vacuum or refrigerant?

Cheers.

Old 04-04-14, 02:33 AM
W
My guess is it is low on refrigerant , but not empty .

Is this a R410a system ?

God bless
Wyr

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: