AC not starting.

Old 04-30-14, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The dial in the middle is the heat anticipator. The sponge I think is the original packing to protect the mercury bulb in shipping. That should have been removed.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-14, 11:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 215 Votes on 204 Posts
That little dial is the heat anticipator setting and should be set back to somewhere near the middle around 1.2

There should be no sponge in the thermostat. That glass bulb moves/tips based on set temperature and room temperature. If you block it..... it can't move.

Your system may be set up for continuous fan and the A/C compressor runs based on temperature. When you adjust the h'stat and t'stat to where the system goes off..... does the blower shut off too ?

(R)----> (F)----> (C)----> (V)

C= coil
F= fan
V= vents
R= returns

Based on what I asked and your drawing..... the fan may be always running and the coil could be changing temperature. Can we assume that the airflow that comes out of your registers is
always the same amount or pressure ?

Old 04-30-14, 12:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
That little dial is the heat anticipator setting and should be set back to somewhere near the middle around 1.2

There should be no sponge in the thermostat. That glass bulb moves/tips based on set temperature and room temperature. If you block it..... it can't move.
I'll change it to 1.2 and remove the sponge when I get home later on today.

Your system may be set up for continuous fan and the A/C compressor runs based on temperature. When you adjust the h'stat and t'stat to where the system goes off..... does the blower shut off too ?
When the system goes off, everything goes off, at least I don't hear any sound from the unit at the ceiling (air handler) and there's no air coming out of the vents.
I have no idea what happens to the unit at the roof (condenser)

(R)----> (F)----> (C)----> (V)

C= coil
F= fan
V= vents
R= returns
Alright, thanks for correcting my super sophisticated diagram, I think I understand clearly now how it works, I googled this, and this image came up, together with your explanation I was able to better visualize how this whole thing works.
http://www.miletodorov.rs/wp-content...ma_diagram.jpg

Based on what I asked and your drawing..... the fan may be always running and the coil could be changing temperature. Can we assume that the airflow that comes out of your registers is
always the same amount or pressure ?
It could be, I don't know, since the unit never disarms now, the fan is indeed always running, and since the house cools down some, but never too cold, it is likely the air coming out isn't cold enough to do the job.
Are the registers the vents? Yes, I think it would be a correct assumption, as far as I can tell, the air there is always coming out with the same intensity.
I do have a slight hint though, that the temperature coming out of the same vent, oscilates, but only observed by putting my hand over it, so not very accurate, I don't have any other way to measure this.

Old 05-16-14, 11:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
How to clean coil?

Alright, it seems the source of my problem is a dirty coil.

So, what's the best way to clean it?

Here's the unit..
IMG_1158_zps2d270e72.jpg Photo by MPavao | Photobucket

I already know how to get to the coil, removing a little pan and those 2 round things, 4 screws total, that part is easy, but the coil itself seems like a PITA to reach, and according to the guy who showed me how to get to it, it must be cleaned in place, I have been doing a little research on this but I'd like your guys opinion.

None of the methods I read about give me the entire idea on how to do it, since its pretty hard to reach, I don't think I have the option of cleaning it with a soft brush, I read about soaking it/spraying it with some cleaners, that seems my best choice, but I don't know what to do afterwards, once I let the cleaners do it's thing, what do I do next? How do I clean the cleaners off the coil?

Thanks a bunch
Pavao

Old 05-16-14, 02:26 PM
You don't have to clean the cleaner off. Just put it back together and wait about 30 min. Then start the AC and it will rinse itself off with condensate.

If the dirt is really packed on the coil you wil have to clean it by hand. I use a fin comb to pull the dirt out.