A/C starts up and interior lights dim

Old 03-19-14, 03:20 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C starts up and interior lights dim

An HVAC technician told me a while back to take the panels off my condenser unit outside (TRANE XE1000) and spray it clean with a hose. Our system wasn't cooling properly and this helped immensely. I tried to do this again the other day with the help of my husband. He said he saw a spark when he started to unscrew the metal plate inside the unit. Since then, when you turn on our AC, it starts up and blows air but it doesn't cool. Also, after the fan has been running a few minutes, it makes a funny sound like something is trying to restart internally (on the outside unit) and simultaneously the lights inside our house dim. We shut off all power today and removed the metal plate. My husband saw where a black wire had disconnected and there was a spray of black material on the inside of the plate that indicated where the spark had been (right there where the wire disconnected). He spliced it and connected it again, but it is still "hiccuping" and making the funny start-up sound mid-cycle with the interior lights dimming simultaneously with the noise. There is a little board to the right of the black reconnected wire and it has a blinking red light labeled M60. It blinks constantly every second. Does anyone have any idea if this could be a quick fix or are we looking at lots of time and money? It is starting to heat up and although I love Florida, I hate the heat. Thanks in advance. I know my post is not the most technically sound, but I hope someone with a big heart can make some sense out of it.

Old 03-19-14, 03:41 PM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
From your description it sounds like the compressor isn't starting, but is trying to. It's possible the spark could have been the start up capacitor for the compressor.

Can you take pictures of where that wire was spliced back into and what it connects to?

Old 03-20-14, 08:06 AM
H
thanks for response

Name:  IMG_6884.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  39.3 KB

I hope this picture loaded. If so, the black wire that was disconnected and then spliced and reconnected is just above and to the right of the two red wires (short wires) at the bottom. It is kind of hard to see, but it wraps around the front of the two short red wires and then curves back right above the right hand side one. It is also just under the black and blue striped wire. I hope this helps. Thank you so much for your help. We don't know the technical jargon, but we are pretty handy. I should mention, if I didn't before, that the light dimming issue started after we experienced the "spark" and wasn't resolved by the black wire getting reconnected. Again, I hope that information helps you.

Old 03-20-14, 01:00 PM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
That large cylinder object on the lower left held by the bracket marked TRANE on it is the start up capacitor. It's pretty clear that the short happened on the capacitor, most likely causing it's failure. Replace the capacitor and you should be back in business.

Old 03-20-14, 01:24 PM
H
Cool...I hope, literally! Thanks again for taking the time to investigate that for me. Do you have any idea how much those capacitors run? Ballpark?... Do we need to look for a TRANE part or is a capacitor a capacitor? Thanks again, Tom. You are a godsend.

Old 03-20-14, 04:55 PM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
No need to look for a Trane part. The important thing is that the capacitance and voltage is the same on the replacement as the original. You should be able to pick one up at a Johnstone Supply or WW Grainger store for under $20. When you're ready to replace the capacitor, be sure to turn off the power to the outside (compressor) unit. Also, as a precaution, take a metal screwdriver with an insulated handle (wood or plastic) and "short out" the terminals on the old capacitor, to make sure that any residual voltage is bled off before touching the terminals.

Old 03-23-14, 04:48 AM
W
Di8fficult to tell for sure , from the photo , but the black rectangular plastic " device " looks like a relay ? It does not look to be in very good condition , either ?

Might try some electrical contact cleaner on it ? And , maybe scrub with an old tooth brush ?

Take lots of photos from lots of angles . Make detailed notes / drawings . Use some masking tape and a Sharpie to make labels for the wires you take loose . You want to get all the wires back on to the original places .

While you are doing this , replace any bad / burned up wire . Or wire connectors .

Make sure the power is OFF . Make sure nothing live / electrical is touching anything it should not . Make sure all has dried out .

Remember , what ever you spend for parts or tools is way cheaper than paying a A/C guy to fix it . A life saver for many of us .

God bless
Wyr

Old 03-23-14, 07:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
Looks like the Trane Hard Start Kit BAYSKT250 is also called KIT01477.
It is listed for $89.61 at Trane® OEM Replacement Components, Parts & Supplies

Last edited by Houston204; 03-23-14 at 07:49 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: