Condenser Unit Not Turning On although the Relay Kicks In.

Old 03-28-14, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Condenser Unit Not Turning On although the Relay Kicks In.

At my 2 story house, I have two AC (heat-pump) units, one for each floor. The upstairs unit, however, the condensing unit doesn't kick on. I can hear the click as the relay kicks in, but nothing else.

Last Summer I paid an AC guy over $500 to get it fixed. Finally the weather got hot, so switched the thermostat from heat to cool. The inside blower unit works fine, and the condensing unit relay seems to kick on as I can hear the click sound.

Both condensing units are York, but slightly different model and size. The one having problem is model E1RC042S06D.

Before calling the AC guy, I opened both unit's panel and noticed the one having problem had couple of wires not plugged in, and had additional component still in it's packaging but plugged. The two units have completely different wiring so couldn't compare. Photos attached. Top one is working unit, bottom photo is non-working unit.

At the top Orange wire and at the bottom white wire is loose. Not sure where that white wire goes to, but the orange wire seem to have a place at the top near by the two black wires. I plugged the orange wire, and still same, I can hear the relay kick in but nothing else.

Advice would be appreciated.

Attached Images   

Last edited by itchibahn; 03-28-14 at 11:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-14, 11:55 AM
Update:

I traced the power, and there were only 1V or so at the terminal. I opened the outside circuit breaker next to each condensing unit, and there were only 1V or so. I checked the 2nd unit, and it has 240V. I think it's time to call the electrician. Thanks.

Old 03-28-14, 02:02 PM
Check the breaker for that unit, sounds like it has tripped. That is a capacitor that is still in the box, is that wired up? The AC guy was just to lazy to mount that properly. From the looks of the picture he really didn't know what he was doing. Can you get a picture of the bad unit from a little higher up so I can see the top of the capacitor?

After you reset the breaker check voltage again. I would not try starting it again, it will trip the breaker again. Need to get those wires connected to the right places.

Last edited by skaggsje; 03-28-14 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-28-14, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Yes.... that capacitor wired up in the box is a classic.
Can you post the make and model of that unit for us ?

Name:  upstairs1.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  35.1 KB

Old 03-28-14, 02:46 PM
I've called my AC guy, he showed up quickly. You were right, another breaker was at the other side of the house in the main power panel, and it was tripped. He reset it and now it's reading 240V. But when turn the AC on, it gets tripped again. He thinks it's the grounded compressor. He was checking wires make sure they aren't shorted/grounded, but the heavy rain begin and he had to postpone until tomorrow.

What I didn't get is, why didn't the breaker next to the unit trip? The unit has to go through it before the main breaker.

I took the below photo from the top. One of that loose cable belongs to that capacitor. So one terminal is not connected, just hanging wire.

Attached Images  

Last edited by itchibahn; 03-28-14 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-28-14, 03:00 PM
Make: York
Model: E1RC042S06D

So that's what we call lazy AC guy's work...

Old 03-28-14, 03:05 PM
That's not really a breaker, it just a disconnect. Make sure he traces out that white wire and the orange wire.

Old 03-28-14, 03:19 PM
Ok I see the new pic now. The larger round capictor is called dual capacitor. The teminal are for fan, compressor and common. He should have replaced that with the same kind of capacitor. He probably didn't have one on the truck, so he added that smaller cap for the fan. This is ok for a quick fix until he can get the right cap.

Old 03-28-14, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
I see a brown and brown/white wire on the cap in the box. It appears that maybe the condensor motor had been replaced. I'm not too crazy about the contactor wiring either.

Name:  ac.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  35.4 KB

Old 03-29-14, 11:42 AM
My AC guy came this morning and after some testing, he said my compressor is bad. It's Sat so he can't get price on it, but he said it's around $500 or so. He will find out Monday morning with exact cost of compressor vs replacing the entire condenser unit.

He also did say that the condenser motor looks it was replaced.

Been googling around for York E1RC042S06D compressor, and found it's part number 015-02690-004. But couldn't find any pricings...

Last edited by itchibahn; 03-29-14 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-31-14, 08:28 AM
Got Prices

Apparently, it's hard to get parts for this York e1rc042s06d. He was able to find the the compressor out of state, but the entire unit about an hour away.

Compressor only w/ labor + shipping = $1288
Whole outside unit w/ labor + shipping = $1592.

I think it's no brainer. Getting the whole unit, it comes with 5 year warranty.

Thank you all...