Wiring Honeywell Z Wave Thermostat to Trane XV90

Old 03-29-14, 11:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring Honeywell Z Wave Thermostat to Trane XV90

Hi All,

I recently purchased my first home and am starting down the improvement journey. I initially got here looking for instructions on connecting the C Wire to the Furnace but reading through Jay's old posts for the furnace looks like I may need to do more. As indicated by the jumper between W1 and W2. I do have a space unconnected blue wire in the bundle but would like to review this group's assistance in reviewing all wiring.

I have an Aprilaire Humidifier along with a Humidistat but I am not sure if that is even being used the way the humidifier is hooked up. There also seems to be an outside sensor which as disconnected at some point of time from the whole setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-14, 11:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 256 Votes on 241 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Trane XV-90 is a trade name not a model number.
Remove the access door to the burner and you'll find an ID plate on the side wall near the burner.

Old 03-30-14, 09:43 AM
Thank you for the warm welcome.

Model number from the Furnace is TUY120R9V5W5. Currently it's wired up as follows:

BK Unused
W2 Thermostat White
W1 Jumpered to W2
R Thermostat Red
G Thermostat Green
B/C Aprilaire 700 Humidifier White
Y Thermostat Yellow and Humidifier Red
Ylo Unused
O Unused

I know I need to connect the Blue wire from the Thermostat on B/C and then to C on the new Thermostat.

I also have the following Thermostat control mounted on the furnace and a Humidistat upstairs just over the Thermostat. Can I combine these two functions into the TH8320ZW Thermostat?

Attached Images  
Old 04-01-14, 07:28 AM
Surprisingly enough, I ran into issues with installing the Honeywell Thermostat. It would send the Heat command to the Furnace, the fans would fire up but the burners did not ignite. I am currently back to the old el-cheapo thermostat in order to make sure the kids had heat during the day.

I hooked up the B/C terminal to B on the Thermostat panel.

Any idea what might have caused this? I am thinking I did not strip the Yellow enough and somehow got the insulation in the terminal in addition to the wire preventing the contact (Yellow is the only one with a shorter wire unsheathed)

Old 04-01-14, 02:12 PM
I figured out the issue with the furnace not lighting up. 0170 was set to an incorrect value and we finally have heat. The Only outstanding question is if there is an "Optimal setup" for what I have.