Can't get Cool Mode to kick in on either thermostat

Old 04-02-14, 06:01 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can't get Cool Mode to kick in on either thermostat

We have a 2 story house with a thermostat on each level. Well, it's starting to get warm, finally. We attempted to turn the air conditioning on last night, but neither of the thermostats would go into Cool mode. By that I mean - when in Cool Mode, the desired temp does not show up so you can't adjust it up/down and the little snowflake does not appear on the screen. No problems if I flip to Heat, but nothing changes on the screen when it goes to Cool.

A little background - the HVAC system in the house is not top of the line - 2 Goodman units and the thermostats are Honeywell - not sure of the model number but similar to the T8400. The house is 6 years old, but when we bought it less than 2 years ago, no one had lived in it since it was built. The air conditioning worked fine last year, but the downstairs thermostat mode switch was finicky, had to slide the switch back and forth between OFF and Cool a few times to get it to kick in to Cool mode.

Last night was the first time we tried to use Cool mode since last summer. If we were just having problems with one thermostat, I would suspect a problem with that thermostat...but, neither one responds to Cool mode. As you can probably tell, I am a novice when it comes to trying to troubleshoot HVAC systems. Any ideas on what might be wrong or how to troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-02-14, 09:51 AM
S
Some systems lock out cooling if outside air temp is to low. Post brand and model#.

Old 04-02-14, 06:05 PM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Take the T-stat's cover out. twist wires R,G and Y together. IF your AC starts, you may have a bad T-stat. If not, You have other issues.

Old 04-03-14, 09:17 AM
R
The transformer may be bad if you had switching issues last year. Try to just turn the fan to the "on" position. If that doesn't work then you have to look deeper.

Old 04-07-14, 08:22 AM
K
I fiddled with the switch and was able to get both of them to switch to cool mode. Time to change out a couple of thermostats.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: