Burnt wires in outside ac unit

Old 04-13-14, 11:28 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Burnt wires in outside ac unit

My AC is not working (and of course we discovered this at 11PM last night). Everything inside the house seems to work, but the fan on the outside unit was not working. The outside unit is a Goodman GSH130481A.

I tried the "stick test" to see if that would work, and while the fan blade spun freely, the outside unit still did not come on. This morning I took the cover off and found a burnt wire that is going to what I think may be the contact... I am assuming this is also one of the higher voltage wires. Any suggestions on what to do, or what it may cost to have fixed? I've attached a couple of photos. One is the wire itself, and the second is where the wire should be hooked in (and if you look closely you can see where part of the wire is still there at the top of the lower left connector). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Images   
Old 04-13-14, 01:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 72 Upvotes on 65 Posts
Replace the contactor.

If you have a service disconnect by your unit, you may be able to pull 3 inches from it.

If you have slack in the whip you may be able to remove the whip connector and remove 3 inches from it from the flexible conduit (don't cut the wire at this location) , then reinstall the connector to give you the extra slack that you need to remove a few inches of burned wire from the end.

If neither of those ides is an option but you have a service disconnect by the unit, replace the whip and contactor.

If you do not have a disconnect by the unit but you need more slack in the wire after cutting it back, I recommend a whip, contactor and disconnect.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: