X13 ECM to PSC Blower Motor Conversion

Old 04-29-14, 06:28 PM
I connected the #1 to #3 and the jumper stat R, Y and O together and I was able to get the fan to run continuously.

I didn't get home until it was dark, so I will test outside tomorrow. Any other things you think I should test tomorrow?

Thanks again Houston!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-14, 10:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the heat pump does not run the way you have it jumpered...

Check if the contactor is pulled in.

Check for 24 volts between blue and yellow and between blue and red and between blue and orange at the wire but outside.

BTW.
The fan is running because 1 is jumpered to 3 at the new fan relay. The stat jumper is to bring on the heat pump in cool mode.

I'm on call this week so I get the late calls.
Fun fun.

Old 04-30-14, 02:23 PM
I tested the stat wires outside and inside at the air handler and I am not getting 24 volts anywhere. Getting 0 to .16

The outside compressor runs if I push in the contactor.

Old 04-30-14, 05:06 PM
Houston, I think I need to accept defeat. What do you think of these prices? Of course I will make sure they are a licensed reputable company, but what size would you recommend and what do you think of their prices? Thanks!

NEW A/C UNITS FROM 2- 5 TONS(INSTALL.INCLUDED) FOR ONLY

Old 05-01-14, 10:43 AM
Those prices are insane. I highly doubt its legit. Especially on craigslist.

Old 05-01-14, 11:39 AM
I checked them out with the Florida Department of Business Regulations. They are licensed, insured and have a triple A Better Business rating. They have been in business since 1989. The prices are legit also.

Old 05-01-14, 12:22 PM
I tested the voltage meter on the upstairs AC thermostat and got a reading of 24 volts, so I know I am using the meter correctly.

I then tested the stat wires at the thermostat downstairs and it read zero.

I then checked the stat wires at the air handler and zero.

I then checked the stat wires at the outside compressor and zero.

The only place I get a reading of 24 volts is at the wire harness plugged into the air handler circuit board.

What does this mean? Defective circuit board at the air handler? If this circuit board is defective would it cause the zero readings at the stat wires on the thermostat, air handler and compressor?

Old 05-02-14, 06:38 AM
Here is another company.

WHOLESALE HEATPUMP AND AC INSTALLATION

Old 05-02-14, 10:02 AM
Those prices you are getting are fairly accurate for Florida. I would recommend spending a few dollars more for a Rheem instead of a Goodman. But if you can save close to a grand than a Goodman is OK. It is a very competitive and cut throat market in Florida.

I have done about twenty ECM to PSC conversions over the past few years. I usually get between $350 and $400 to do it. They are all a little different and I know many professionals who wouldn't even attempt it. Each one is a little different and there are many wires and factors involved. I followed this thread and would have been quite surprised if it had worked. I will say that you did give it a valiant effort.

Old 05-02-14, 10:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am certain that the air handler requires a new control board.

I am less certain that the transformer is correctly connected the the T and C terminals on the control board.

Old 05-02-14, 11:20 AM
Thank You Houston

I want to thank you Houston for all of your help. It was truly appreciated, but I decided to go with a new unit. I am getting a Goodman 14 Seer Heat Pump system installed for $2,200.

And thank you to theapprentice for telling me that I gave it a "valiant effort". Makes me feel like it wasn't a total waste of time on my part.

Old 05-02-14, 05:26 PM
This is the system I am getting. It has a great warranty. 10 years for parts and lifetime for compressor. If my Carrier had this warranty it would have still been covered.

Attached Images