Lennox AC - Interior system on, Condenser sounds on but fan off.

Old 04-29-14, 05:19 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lennox AC - Interior system on, Condenser sounds on but fan off.

As in the title, I am having a problem with my Lennox AC unit. The indoor system turns on fine and blows air, but it is having trouble keeping the home cool. When the system is on, the outside condenser hums away as I would think it should, but the fan does not kick on. The lines are both hot and cold as I read they should be, but before I call and AC company I was wondering if you all had any advice.

Thank you!

EDIT: I went outside and took the top off to see if I could see something major and the capacitor is super rusty. Posting pictures. Is there a way I can tell what capacitor I need? Any idea the rough cost of a new one?

Attached Images     

Last edited by Nucer; 04-29-14 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-29-14, 06:08 AM
S
Yes I would change that first. Look for the micro farads should be something like 40/5. Volts can be either 370 or 470 doesn't matter. It's called a duel round capacitor. Price should be under $50, like anything else you can go cheap. I would go for the American made cap.

If you are going to replace it yourself be sure to label the wires. You might have a hard time seeing the letters on top, with all the rust.

Last edited by skaggsje; 04-29-14 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-29-14, 08:49 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
I just got back in from replacing the capacitor. Hadn't read your comment yet, but you were correct! I got an American made one, and with tax it came out to 62 dollars. I'm happy with that!

As for the wiring, i just copied the locations from the old cap to the new one.

Thanks!

Old 04-29-14, 09:07 AM
S
Hey good job!! Glad to hear you bought the more expensive cap. I change out a lot of 3-5 year old Chinese caps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: