Switching out Thermostat

Old 05-01-14, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Switching out Thermostat

I am switching from a Climate Technology 43154A to a Honeywell RTH6580WF. I think I have most of the wiring figured out but want to make sure before I flip power. Where I'm currently stumped is:

1.) Old thermo used: White Wire fed into Y/0 terminal, which goes to W1 in the furnace.
Not sure if this should goto the W terminal on the Honeywell Thermo

2.) Old thermo used: Yellow wire fed into Y1 terminal, which goes to Y in the furnace.
Does this also get fed into the Y on the Honeywell?

Thanks in advance for the help. The joys of owning a home, and working on stuff you know nothing about!!!

Old Thermo
Name:  Photo May 01, 3 41 17 PM.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  35.6 KB

Furnace:
Name:  Photo May 01, 4 18 57 PM.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  37.0 KB

Honeywell
Name:  Photo May 01, 5 02 37 PM.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  28.6 KB

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-14, 07:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Tsat install

i not sure if you know but you have a heat pump. It is wired only for electric heat. The new stat wiring should be k (empty) y2 (empty) w2 (should be white wire from w2 on furnace terminal block) g (green) w ( should be to w on furnace terminal block ) c (blue) y (yellow) r (should be red wire from r inside furnace on terminal block) rc (empty). The way it is wired will operate heat but only electric heat. If you trace wiring figure out which white wire energizes outside condensing unit then wire it to w the other white to w2 you will see a difference in your electrical operating cost. What you may try discounnect both white wires have someone at outside unit with power on chose a white wire and touch to w the correct wire will energize outside unit and it will begin to run. Once wiring is traced to outside unit secure this wire at w. The other white wire secure to w2. You will need to go thru program process on stat. You hold both up and down temp buttons for at least 2 seconds program screen should pop up. Use paperwork for programming stat. If I'm correct I think pages 15 - 20 on this one. If you choose to run as is then like I say green to g white to w blue to c yellow to y red to r. Rc is jumpered so it's empty. Good luck hope I didn't ramble and loose you. I can be so random.

Old 05-01-14, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 347 Posts
What's strange is I don't see a C connection to the compressor unit.

Old 05-01-14, 07:51 PM
Thanks so much for the help. I have another question. When I originally power everything back on, i realized the Blue wire on the terminal block in the furnace isnt the same blue wire that runs to the thermo

The blue wire I need has been cut short. I can still reach C with the other blue wire, but Im not entirely sure if putting 2 blue wires on the furnace block will hurt something

Name:  Photo May 01, 6 39 44 PM (HDR).jpg
Views: 425
Size:  50.6 KB

Old 05-01-14, 08:03 PM
Looking at inside wiring again it's missing a orange wire that would go to o inside and out to power reversing valve. Your best bet is to go back like it was. The blue wire you had to c will need to go to c. Wire it with what you have and power up. If circuit board inside furnace lights wait for I'd say 5 minutes to allow time for time delay to make. It may come right on but if not 5 minutes before you try other wire. It will be ok as long as you don't ground direct to r. I'm a idiot for not noticing empty o terminal before sorry. I could make work but may be pain in ass for you. Not doubting your abilities but heat pump heat operations control wiring is a headache.

Old 05-01-14, 08:43 PM
I have the air on but its blowing heat????

Old 05-01-14, 08:59 PM
Check outside unit is it running if so your not energizing reversing valve. A heat pump is in heat mode with no power applied. You turn to cool it energizes this relay to reverse flow of refrigerant. If outside unit not running it's a thermostat program issue. Refer to programming tsat and follow set up. Stat doesn't know what to do until programmed set up is completed. Don't loose it. We will figure out.I love control wiring probs. Everyone a learning experience.

Old 05-01-14, 09:02 PM
The condensor is running outside

Old 05-01-14, 09:47 PM
If you want to be industrious you could trace inside wires figure out which set go to outside unit dedicate 2 wires no matter the colors install 1 on w the other on o. Inside furnace now place same wire on w that you code for w outside. The 1 dedicated to o outside install on o inside. The other white then will go to w2. You then will have heat pump usage and not extra expensive full electric heat. When you go to stat for heat in normal operation at that point heat pump will operate and not electric heat. Electric heat is normal emergency/back up heat. There is a temp balancing point. When outdoor temp is below 40 heat pumps loose efficiency and ground. Electric heat makes up difference and has no balance point.

Old 05-01-14, 09:49 PM
Well Wess, this is getting to be out of my league. Im still getting hot air and have messed with the system setup till im blue in the face. I'll have to call one of the pros tomorrow. Again, thanks for the help!

Old 05-01-14, 09:57 PM
Try white wire at new stat on y2 it must back feed thru furnace circuit board.