Central AC Unit outside fan not kicking in

Old 05-05-14, 09:32 AM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Central AC Unit outside fan not kicking in

Hello! I have done a bit of reading around and I have an idea of what to do up to a point.

I have a central AC unit. When I turn the AC on the vents still expel cool air, but the outside unit's fan does not turn on. The motor is clearly running--you can hear --but the fan doesn't engage. I can turn the fan with a stick with no problem, but turning it while the AC unit is running doesn't cause it to begin turning (I saw that as a suggestion in another thread). I pulled the panel off to check the converter today and here is what I saw:

http://i.imgur.com/ZSlmmDQ.jpg (picture is too large to post)

Now, I am comfortable changing the converter and simply needed to know the type in order to get another one, but uh... I certainly can't see anything besides rust. Here are the details on the unit

http://i.imgur.com/jlzq52N.jpg

Any suggestions?

Old 05-05-14, 09:38 AM
P
And of course by converter I meant capacitor. Oops!

Also the unit is not tripping the breaker.

Old 05-05-14, 10:57 AM
R
Can't check a capacitor without a meter that reads microfarads. I fan will pull more amperage when a cap is bad so if you have a clamp meter you'll be able to see if its bad, but you can't see the exact number. If you can spin the fan with a stick its definitely the capacitor.

Old 05-05-14, 11:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,198 Likes on 2,873 Posts
If you can spin the fan with a stick its definitely the capacitor.
and the fan starts running. If the fan doesn't start after a push then the motor could also be bad. The least expensive part is the capacitor so it usually gets replaced first.

You can use the part number to search for places that sell it. When ordering give them make, model number and serial number of your unit for confirmation.
Manufacturer Number 89M80 - Round, Dual, 440 Volts, 45/5 Microfarads (MFD)

Old 05-07-14, 12:29 PM
P
Well, I obtained the right capacitor and installed it today and... nothing. Well, nothing new, the motor still engages. At this point I would just call in a tech but I'd at least like to exhaust all of my available options first, mostly for financial reasons. Is there anything else I can look at to try and pin down the issue?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: