Possible Chinese (defective) drywall? Can you tell by the coils?

Old 05-07-14, 12:41 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Possible Chinese (defective) drywall? Can you tell by the coils?

I'm looking to purchase a house in Florida and the coils of the AC unit inside the house looked questionable. Some of the Electrical outlets with exposed copper had black soot on the wires, but it was pretty much isolated to the bathrooms (the house is on well water with high sulfer content). I took pictures of the AC coils to get feedback on this is consistant with Chinese drywall, or it looks like a typical 9 year old AC unit.

Old 05-07-14, 03:02 PM
T
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
For an A/C down in FL with year round use, that might be normal. On the other hand, my 40 year old Carrier system here in NJ doesn't even look like that.

Old 05-08-14, 04:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Fla has a lot of humidity so rust isn't uncommon. When was the house built or remodeled? Unless I'm mistaken most of the chinese drywall was used in the yr or so following hurricane katrina.

Old 05-08-14, 07:53 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The chemicals in the drywall where eating the copper. The copper looks fine just rust on the galvanized metal its very typical.

Old 05-08-14, 08:56 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your replies. The house is 9 years old and original to the home. I'm not worried about the rust as much as the color and quality of the copper in the unit. Any defective drywall attacks any exposed copper and will destroy an AC unit in a matter of months to a year from what I've been hearing.

I've opened a few panels of other ac units in the area, including one house that for sure had defective drywall and they all pretty much look the same to me. I'm wondering if having a high sulfer content in the water of the house would be a factor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: