New contactor?

Old 05-09-14, 03:31 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New contactor?

I just got done replacing my Contactor and Capacitor. Capacitor was pretty straight forward, but I have a quick question on the contactor connections.

The original stock part's main 4 connectors were marked L1/L3/T1/T3 and 2 unmarked connectors on each side.

The new replacement part looks very similar but the 4 main connections are flipped and are marked L1/L2/T1/T2 and the same 2 side connectors, but they are marked A1/A2.

Am I correct in moving connectors L1 to L1, L3 to L2, T1 to T1 and L3 to L2? Also, since the L & T connector locations are swapped, I swapped the 2 side connectors A1/A2.

It seems to run properly, doesn't seem as noisy but has a rhythmic hum that I never noticed before.

Old 05-09-14, 04:38 PM
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
You want to connect the two "L" wires to one end of the contactor and the two "T" wires to the other end of the contactor. Since the wires carry AC voltage, it doesn't matter whether the "L" wires are connected L1, L2 or L2, L1 (same with the "T" wires). It also doesn't matter with the small diameter wires that connect to the side terminals.

Old 05-09-14, 04:55 PM
J
thank you Bob, does it doesn't matter if A1/A2 are swapped?

Old 05-09-14, 05:00 PM
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
No, the control voltage coming from the thermostat is 24VAC. It doesn't matter if the wires are swapped since it's AC voltage.

Old 05-10-14, 05:02 AM
W
Not sure if it is SOP with HVAC , but it is traditional , convention , in electrical , to have the " hots " at the top . But it will function , top or bottom .

Notice , some condensers have have 2 hots , but only one side / pole of the contactor switches off & on . The other side / pole just passes the hot through , un-switched . This works . It is called a single pole contactor .

If I run across one that is burned up , I replace it with a 2 pole contactor . Only a few $$$ more and ( in my opinion ) a better solution . Wiring may need to be changed slightly .

God bless
Wyr

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: