Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

Air Conditioner Condenser Fan Not Spinning - Please Help! (included pictures)

Old 05-09-14, 02:34 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello!
I'm hoping someone could help me. My Air Condition Condenser fan isn't spinning on the outside unit (Model: carrier model 38ckc).

I did the stick test and the fan rotates completely freely. No issue. I flipped the circuit breaker off prior to doing the test. After I was done I flipped the circuit breaker again and I noticed that the fan was attempting to spin, with some odd noises coming from the unit.

I then noticed what smelled like a burning smell. I then went back into the house and turned the breaker off again.

I remove the fan from the top and noticed that burning smell was coming from the motor. I've attached three images detailing the problem area (at least the area I think is the problem).

Picture one: a picture of the plug still in the unit
Picture two: a picture of the plug; looks charred/burned a bit
Picture three: a picture of the motor where the plug goes into

Do I need to purchase a new motor for this unit? I don't know too much about AC units. This particular unit is 10 years old. Any thoughts?

Attached Images    
Old 05-09-14, 02:45 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sorry to say that's you compressor and it looks shot.

Old 05-09-14, 02:47 PM
B
guyold: Thanks for the response. I have a guy from ARS coming by later tonight to look at it. Think it's worth keeping the appointment? If it is the compressor, is it usually wise to just buy a new unit? What are my options?

I really appreciate the response. I honestly don't know much about this stuff and appreciate the advise.

Old 05-09-14, 03:00 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Myself I would replace the unit. Get 3 estimates and it's not only the cheapest. Depending on the refrigerant could get pricy. Weigh your options but sooner rather then later would be best. People get busy with more heat.

Old 05-09-14, 03:07 PM
B
guyold: Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!

Any other thoughts? Pretty much in agreement with guyold?

Last edited by baptizer; 05-09-14 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-09-14, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
There are replacement connectors for the compressor...but I don't think they'll work as badly as yours is damaged.

You might want to find out the cost for just a replacement compressor. It's possible (but unlikely) that it may be under some sort of warranty. Maybe parts only, if at all, but that would probably be a lot cheaper than a whole new outside unit (which might also require a new inside coil?).

No HVAC tech here...but I read all the Pro's replies.

Old 05-09-14, 04:40 PM
B
Quote for replacement compressor was 2,600. ARS gave me a price quote of 5,000 for the a carrier 24acc642 unit and cnpvp4821 coil.

Does that sound reasonable? I'll get a few more quotes but curious what you think of that quote. Thanks.

Old 05-09-14, 10:17 PM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
If you want to save money, then find a matching condenser, I don't recommend to just replace the compressor (find a dry condenser unit using r-22 freon), cost around $2000-$2600. this may run another 5 years. or take ARS's quote, replace both condenser and inside coil (go for R410A). It is up to you. You may want to get a second quote, may be a little cheaper.

Old 08-14-15, 07:13 PM
B
Fan sometimes does not work

My air conditioner works fine, but about once a day the fan outside does not run, the compressor is on but the fan does not come on. If I turn it off and wait about an hour then turn it back on it works. When the fan is not working it does not even make a noise like its trying to turn. Fan or capacitor need replacing? Or both??? The fan was recently changed and a larger fan was installed but The capacitor was not changed, do you think it might be overheating?? It happens during the hottest part of the day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: