Is dryer required?

Old 05-10-14, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is dryer required?

I'm in the middle of a new ac install, and noticed the guy didn't install a dryer He said he usually doesn't on new installs, but has one in his truck, if I want it installed I said install it.
This guy's quote was about 1/2 of others that I got. I guess I have to inspect every part of the job.
He is semi retired and works out of his house, and doesn't have the big overhead of other companies.

I'm just wondering if is not a requirement on new installs, in case he decides to charge me extra for it.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-14, 09:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Tough to call from here...
If the guy is hungry enough to bid the job and only make $50 Should I recommend that you take that from him.

Old 05-10-14, 10:37 AM
Most new outdoor units come with one installed. Try looking for one. But yeah they are important. They remove moisture and debris in line.

Old 05-11-14, 03:55 AM
Reading the paperwork that came with unit, a dryer is supplied for install.

Old 05-11-14, 04:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I'm not an HVAC expert but on my HP, the compressor died [under warranty] and when they came out to replace it they didn't replace the drier. A few yrs later that compressor died and the tech that came out said it was because the previous tech didn't replace the filter.

Old 05-12-14, 04:34 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
New installs not not needed because everything is new. There should not be any trash in the system and everything had nitrogen charge from supplier.

Old 05-28-14, 07:58 PM
I had him install a dryer. The dryer turned out to be the least of my problems.
He totally messed up the plenums, and ductboard ducts, as well as the wiring, registers, plumbing (refrigerant leaked out after 2 days)
How about no staples on the ductboard ducts. No disconnect at handler. 220 volt power wire goes thru return plenum. No cable clamp, or even grommet where 220 enters handler. Thermostat wire goes thru duct work. Lots and lots of bare fiberglass in ducts. Almost all registers have the holes cut too big and screws don't hold.
The un airconditioned store room, where the handler is, was as cold as the house, because of so many bad leaks in the supply plenum.
Then it turns out he isn't Licensed! Had another persons License number in his ad. License holder says he does not work for him anymore, and didn't have permission to use his License.
My Attorney, said that it was illegal for him to even write a contract for AC work, without being licensed.
Glad I have only paid him for materials. Ain't getting another dime from me.
Total crap work.

Old 05-28-14, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
Glad I have only paid him for materials. Ain't getting another dime from me.
The damage is done..... what a mess.