How to use the HVAC fan to keep the house cool

Old 05-11-14, 12:50 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to use the HVAC fan to keep the house cool

Hi guys,

Lately Ive been reading some articles that discuss using the HVAC fan during the Sring\Summer months to keep the air circulating through the house so you need to use the AC less. I have a Nest which allows me to set the fan on a timer throughout the day

Does anyone have any opinions on this? If so, what are your recommendations? Is there a website that discusses this further?

Thanks,

Rob

Old 05-11-14, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,192 Likes on 2,867 Posts
Running just the fan does not cool the house. You must actually run the A/C to cool your house.

Running the fan only evens the temperatures in the house. If you have a cool basement and a hot second floor...... as the fan runs the basement will get warmer and the second floor will get cooler.

Running the fan continously and cycling the compressor is ideal but you won't save any/enough money to keep the fan running all day.

Old 05-12-14, 01:03 AM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
One caveat, if the furnace is located in a non-insulated (or poorly insulated) garage as is mine the return air duct may not be insulated. In my case, if I try to equalize temperatures throughout the house I actually make it worse by picking up heat from the garage through that non-insulated RA duct.

Old 05-12-14, 05:29 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If the AC is on you can have higher RH as much as 10% with the fan in the on position.

Old 05-12-14, 04:39 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Good point, Airman. To others, this is caused by the condensed moisture on the cooling coil being re-evaporated into the air stream when the compressor cycles off due to a drop in room temperature.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: