Need help regarding a portable AC unit before I go in to exchange it

Old 05-11-14, 03:50 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help regarding a portable AC unit before I go in to exchange it

I've been running this dual hose portable AC for about a few days now and have been having an unusual problem. It's 12000BTU and in a 330 square foot room.

When the AC is set to cool, the temperature on the thermostat climbs to 32C and stays there. If I remove the exhaust hose and let the warm air just blow out into the room the thermostat drops down to the room temperature.

It's cooling fine, compressor is on, and hot air seems to be exhausting if I go outside to the window where it's being vented. I should note that I haven't removed the window screen (not sure if I'm supposed to?). But the thermostat climbs and quickly stays around 32C and doesn't fall after hours of use (and therefore the AC/compressor never turn off which is worrisome).

Here is a picture: imgur: the simple image sharer

Those hoses came with the unit. The lower one is the exhaust, the upper one is drawing in air.

In any case I was hoping for an opinion on whether this is just likely a faulty unit or there may be something wrong with the setup. I plan to exchange it tomorrow but don't want to run into the same issue again.

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-11-14, 03:56 PM
S
I'm wondering why the unit would be bringing outside air in, doesn't make sense to me.

Old 05-11-14, 04:02 PM
J
My understanding of the dual hose models is that the extra hose is to pull in air from the outside to cool the condenser coils and then exhausting warm air outside. It avoids the negative pressure problems of single hose units. All the research I did prior to purchasing the unit pointed to the dual hose models as being better but there are few options and are more expensive.

Old 05-11-14, 04:09 PM
S
Thanks for the info. Are your hoses to close together?

Old 05-11-14, 04:11 PM
J
There's a gap of space between them so they aren't touching. I don't think it's feasible to separate them much more. Following their installation instructions in the manual and online it seems pretty similar to how the manufacturer indicates it should be set up in a horizontal sliding window.

Old 05-11-14, 04:14 PM
S
Just wondering if it's sucking the exhaust back in.

Old 05-11-14, 04:43 PM
J
I thought about that so I replaced the hoses so the exhaust is the top one but the same problem persists, the thermostat climbs up and stays at 32C after the compressor turns on.

Old 05-11-14, 07:08 PM
G
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds defective to me. On 2-hose units the condenser and evaporator sides are separate and the thermostat should be reading the conditioned - air side only.

Old 05-11-14, 08:46 PM
J
Yeah it could be a misplaced sensor who knows.

I'm going to exchange it tomorrow and test the new unit out, I'll report back for the sake of anyone else who reads the thread in the future.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: