Blower fan runs then turns off--outside compressor & fan stay on

Old 05-11-14, 07:00 PM
Blower fan runs then turns off--outside compressor & fan stay on

The scenario is that my blower fan is sporadic when and how long it wants to work. Today it stayed on for about 30 minutes and another time today it stayed on for about 4-5 minutes. Once the blower fan turns off, the outside fan and compressor are still on. I have a heat pump type system and is about 16 years old. This issue started back in the winter on a very cold day when it shut off. Ever since then whether it was heat or now the AC, it does as I described above. The best I can guess is a capacitor on the blower fan? Or maybe the blower fan is getting old and sporadic in its functioning?
Any help and insight as to what to look for next would be greatly appreciated!? I know my wife is hot but this is gonna get unbearable as the Texas heat descends upon us!!

Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-14, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

There is a possibility that you have a bad capacitor but usually the motor won't start and run for a while. It sounds more like a defective motor. The next time it fails.... feel how hot it is and if it still spins freely.

Old 05-11-14, 11:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd feel safe saying from description it is a faulty or malfunctioning blower motor. It may be as simple as oiling motor if unsealed bearings. There will be 2 ports 1st inboard 2nd at outboard of motor and should be at 12 o'clock straight up. Look to back of blower section. You will see a 3/8 hex head screw on ea side of blower securing bracket in place. Remove these 2 screws blower unit will slide toward you. Pay attention to wiring if a plug in pig tail unplug and remove. If hard wired either snip them or try working in place. Once motor is out of housing you will see a small port at backside of motor. If you see port here there will also be another on front. HVAC mechs use zoomspout oil and oiler but 3 n 1 oil is same viscosity and works. Be sure to have all power secured as this unit is 220/240 vac it can and will KILL you. If oil able apply oil hand spin a few times. Reinstall unit into bracket housing. If no oil ports like max said spin it feel it hell even smell it. If she's draggy hits rough spot or tight you'll need new motor. Good practice new motor new capacitor. I'm in Louisiana and it's going to be a hot summer. Animals are shedding to thin summer coats and fish are already fat. Your best bet if new motor is needed would be*** link removed***HVAC supply houses have ceased selling to Joe public due to liability and pisses contractors they deal with everyday off. This data was for your info and I assume no liability for any actions that may result. Remember if in doubt call a pro.

Last edited by lawrosa; 05-13-14 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Removed link
Old 05-12-14, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
HVAC supply houses have ceased selling to Joe public
That may be true in your area, but it's not true everywhere. Most (not all) will sell smaller components like capacitors, contactors, relays, and motors to anyone....but not sealed system parts of course.

Old 05-12-14, 05:18 PM
Group Moderator
There are plenty of places online to purchase the parts also.

Old 05-17-14, 01:33 PM
Thanks

OK...thank you to all of you who contributed!
I'll go take a look at this as it is already getting humid and HOT here in Texas!
I'll let all know what I find out...

Tim

Old 05-24-14, 09:52 AM
Completed!

After measuring the capacitor it was within tolerance but yet I went and got one anyway. It didn't fix it. I then tried replacing the 6 pin relay, didn't work. I didn't feel like tackling the blower fan replacement, so I let a qualified tech do it. That was it! Charged up the freon some more and now have cold blowing air in the house! Just in time for it to get really hot in Texas! Thanks for all the feedback. Tim