Changing Compressor

Old 05-13-14, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing Compressor

The compressor on my AC unit is dead, and I'm looking to buy a new one and have a local HVAC contractor remove the old one and install the new one.

I was told that the new unit has to be the same model number as the old compressor. This unit is from 1999, and I'd be a little surprised if the compressors still have the same model numbers (but I've been wrong before). Does that sound correct? Otherwise, and suggestions where I could source a new one (aside from a HVAC contractor) or a used one?

I'm really just trying to do this to get through the summer, and see where things are in the Fall. Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-14, 02:27 PM
You should be able to find the same model# if it's a Copeland. I have bought them off Ebay.

Old 05-14-14, 11:48 AM
What exactly was the test to confirm the compressor was dead & unfixable?

Old 05-14-14, 12:41 PM
Several tests done by 2 technicians. The second tech used a box with a crank to run a current through the compressor and he used a "booster" on the capacitor to kick start it.

It's a Trane compressor. Does Trane sell them to consumers, or how can I get one?

I've seen several used ones for the same size unit (3.5 tons and using R22), what else would I need to know to make sure another compressor is compatible?