Condenser Fan Woes

Old 05-13-14, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Condenser Fan Woes

Ok, recently had a fan motor go out. I replaced the capacitor for the compressor and the fan motor along with the fan motor itself. I fired up the unit and the fan seems to be going much slower than it should. It is also getting very warm after only running for a couple of minutes. The unit has a hard start kit in it as well. Any help would be so appreciative.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-14, 09:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A hard start kit is used on the compressor only. Does your fan motor have its own capacitor or is there a shared capacitor.

It sounds like your fan needs its own capacitor.

Old 05-14-14, 05:21 AM
Thank you.
The fan motor has its own capacitor. The new fan came with one a bit bigger than the one that was on there. Something that does have me a bit bewildered is why there is a wire connecting the two capacitors, along with why it is going slow and getting hot. Any other info you may need, let me know.

Old 05-14-14, 05:27 AM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
Did the new motor come with a wiring diagram? Sometimes, the replacement motors require different wiring than the original motor. Since it came with a different value capacitor, it apparently isn't a direct replacement for the original motor, making me even more suspicious that it may require different wiring than the original.

Old 05-14-14, 08:33 AM
Yes, it did and the diagram is the same. It is as follows:
Brown--capacitor
Brown stripe---capacitor

Black
White

On the fan cap, looking from the top on the right side is four post. On the back post I have the brown strip, and on the front I have the solid brown. On the left side of the cap, looking from the top, I have a small black wire on the left post. This wire clamp has two wires connected to it. Both of which are black. One is smaller than the other. The big wire goes to the compressor cap on the left side of the cap and on the right hand post. On the same side but on the left post is a blue wire. On the right hand side of the compressor cap, looking from the top, the back post has a big black wire, and directly in front of that is a small blue wire. The blue wires go to the hard start kit. I hope that makes sense.

Old 05-14-14, 08:40 AM
Group Moderator
The new fan cap should have only two distinct connections although it may have multiple tabs on each connections. That order is not critical.

The black and white wires from the fan motor ultimately must be connected to TI and T2 on the contactor. It may splice to the same line that supplies the compressor.

Pictures here would be real helpful.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 05-14-14, 08:42 AM
A capacitor (single capacitor) only has two connections. Either you have a dual capacitor (hence 4 terminals), or you have a single capacitor with dual terminals for each connection. Can you take a picture of the terminal side of the capacitor?

Old 05-15-14, 02:13 PM
Name:  IMG_1729.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  26.4 KBName:  IMG_1730.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  21.4 KBName:  IMG_1731.jpg
Views: 2153
Size:  41.2 KB

Ok, hopefully these will clear things up a bit. The coils on the unit are getting hot fast right after I turn it on. I haven't let it run more than a couple minutes in fear of it getting too toasty.... much like we are! :-/

Old 05-15-14, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the pictures, that helps. Which capacitor (round or oval) is the one for the fan motor? Earlier you posted that the two wires going to the capacitor are brown and brown/stripe. In the picture of the oval capacitor, it appears that there are two brown wires attached to the same terminal. I can't tell if one is brown and the other brown/stripe. It looks suspicious to me that you have both brown wires on the same capacitor terminal and that a black wire is going to the other capacitor terminal. Which wires are the brown & brown/stripe from the motor?

Old 05-15-14, 04:35 PM
No problem. Thanks for taking the time to help. The oval one is connected to the fan motor. The one on the back tab is brown stripe. It is turned perfectly where you can't see the stripe. I'm not sure what is up with the other wire connecting the two capacitors.

Old 05-15-14, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
You need to remove the black wire jumper between the capacitors. It's no longer needed.
Rather than cutting it.... just connect it to one of the terminals it originates at.

You need to have one brown(orange) wire on each side of the cap.

Your black and white fan wires are going directly to T1 and T2 on the contacter which is fine.

Name:  ac.jpg
Views: 4925
Size:  33.4 KB

Old 05-15-14, 04:43 PM
I agree, I'm not sure that the two capacitors should be connected. Of the two heavy brown wires that are connected to the same terminal on the oval capacitor, I assume that one goes to the motor, but where does the other one go? From your earlier post about the wiring diagram for the new motor, I would have expected to see just two wires on the oval capacitor, one on each terminal. Perhaps what you'll have to do is to trace the wiring and draw a wiring diagram to figure out how it is actually wired.

I just saw PJmax's post and it makes perfect sense and is what I was thinking might be the correct wiring.

Old 05-15-14, 07:32 PM
Ok, just to be sure, I need to take the small black wire that is on the left side of the oval cap off, and transfer one of the brown wires from the right side of the oval cap to where the small one was.

I'm not sure what you mean by taking the small wire and connecting it to one of the terminals it originates at. Do you mean take the small black one off the oval cap and place it on one of the terminals on the round cap on the left side between the blue and the double black?

I believe the small double wire goes back to the contacts behind the black and white fan wires on the contact. What was the purpose of the double wire? Would this be what is making it run slow and hot? I'm just being extra cautious. :-D

Old 05-15-14, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
You currently have the start winding continuously active with the short you created on the fan cap.

You have a short black jumper connecting the two caps. It needs to be removed from the oval cap. Just put it on a spare slide ON THE SAME TERMINAL it's already connected to.

Name:  ac.jpg
Views: 9244
Size:  36.8 KB

Old 05-15-14, 07:41 PM
Both of the brown wires on the oval cap trace back to the fan. One is solid brown and the other is brown with a white stripe. I have drawn a diagram,but it is the most unintelligible diagrams ever. The two caps being connected threw me for a loop too, but the old fan and new fan had the same diagrams and that is the way it was hooked up. Eh, maybe that is what killed the old fan after a while??!!

Old 05-15-14, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
Both of the brown wires on the oval cap trace back to the fan
Yes.... but you have them on the SAME terminal of the capacitor !

Old 05-16-14, 03:55 AM
As PJmax stated, you need to move one of the brown wires to the other terminal on the oval capacitor. You should only have 2 wires connected to the oval capacitor, the heavy brown wire connects to one terminal, and the other heavy brown wire (striped) connects to the other terminal.

Old 05-17-14, 01:41 PM
IT Works!! You guys Rock! Thank you Pjmax and Bob14525!!!

Old 05-17-14, 02:10 PM
Group Moderator
You're welcome ! All is cool in La. again