fan motor

Old 05-14-14, 06:08 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fan motor

i am trying to get my fan motor working so hopefully i can explain this so someone can understand it.

i am going from a 3 wire to 4 wire motor.
3 wire was brown to capacitor, purple to relay and black
to relay on defrost board.

4 wire i have brown, brown w/white stripe, white, and black.
4 wire schematics says 2 brown wires to capacitor and the white
and black wires to line.
i wired the 2 brown wires to the capacitor, the white wire to the
relay and the black wire to the relay on the defrost board.

i also replaced the capacitor so it matches the new motor.
i also replaced the high voltage fuses.

i still get no fan movement. am i missing something or is something else wrong causing the fan not to work.

Thanks for the help,
Paul

Old 05-14-14, 08:18 PM
S
Hey Paul, sounds like you got a different motor than the original. That can cause problems. Post make and model of furnace.

Old 05-14-14, 10:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,846 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

the white wire to the relay and the black wire to the relay on the defrost board.
Ultimately one wire ends up on T1 and the other on T2 as it's a 240v motor. Right now it sounds like they're both on the same leg.

Old 05-15-14, 05:46 AM
F
skaggsje- its a universal motor and will fit as i had an HVAC person order it for me
model/year -trane he weather tron heat pump xe1200 9/98

model # twp024c100a3

pjmax-
thats what i was thinking about not getting the right power.
i am going to look into this today. i basically hooked it up the same as the old motor but it was diff. colored wires. i followed the specs but possibly the wiring is slightly diff. since it went from 3 to 4 wire. things came up yesterday and i couldnt properly research it so i will do that today. i will post some pics of the unit when i can get to it.

thanks for the input

Old 05-15-14, 10:43 AM
F
so i think i figured out the problem with the fan and found the overall problem that was causing other issues.

unfortunately i called a tech and set up a service call as it has to do with the compressor which has a wire that runs under it to what looks like some sort of heating coil im guessing part of the defrost system. well long story short that wire was completely melted and causing shorts in other areas. so i will have a tech out here today or tomorrow. one thing i do not mess with is compressors so i will def. leave that one up to the professionals.

Thanks for the help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: