Outside unit does not work, inside blower OK, please help

Old 05-14-14, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outside unit does not work, inside blower OK, please help

Hi, everyone, I have a Amana split AC, about 14 years old. Yesterday, the outside condenser failed to start. Inside blower OK, but blow warm air only. Called a tech this morning, he checked condenser (about 15 minutes) my thermostat (about 5 minutes), upstair blower (about 10 minutes). then he said the 24V does not get to the condenser, I have a bad control board and needs to be replaced. But I just replace that control board last year because the blower failed. so it is that board again ? I do not know much about control board, can some one tell me is it possible the control board caused this 24V problem. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-14, 07:08 PM
Not likely the board is bad after one year.

Old 05-14-14, 08:01 PM
I thought the 24V is sent out by the thermostat and control board is not even in the picture. Am I right or wrong ?

Old 05-14-14, 11:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Are we talking about a standard air conditioning system only....... not a heat pump ?

You are correct...... on a standard system the 24vac originates at the thermostat and travels to the compressor on the Yellow wire. Usually the Y terminal on the control board is a splice point for the thermostat wire to connect to the compressor.

Old 05-15-14, 11:57 PM
Thanks folks, I found the problem. the Y wire was lose at the control board terminal. It is right there, can not believe that AC tech did not see it. I am glad I did not pay him to replace the control board. I sent a nasty letter to that AC firm and also reported to local BBB.