A/C Unit is blowing through vents, but not cooling

Old 05-14-14, 11:04 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Unit is blowing through vents, but not cooling

My upstairs unit is blowing out of the vents. I could feel the wind. However it is not cooling. The temperature remained at 82 degrees and the a/c didnt cool and kept on blowing as if telling me, "Hey I cant get it past 82".

Im thinking that it may need a service tech coming out and test the pressure and possibly adding some coolant. On this particular unit, last year we added some coolant and the tech came out and made sure the pressure equaled out and so forth.

How long does the coolant suppose to last? Before having to change?

Also I was reading some threads about cleaning the a/c unit and its coils. Is that even possible and what would cleaning the unit help with achieving its cooling potential.

Thanks,

Old 05-15-14, 12:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,162 Likes on 2,841 Posts
The coolant is known as refrigerant. It lasts forever and doesn't need to be replaced. In your case it sounds like you have a leak which means depending on how bad the leak is.... it could require constant recharging which is expensive and not environmentally sound.

An HVAC tech should be able to locate the source of the leak.

The outside coil is easy to see and fairly easy to clean. However, A/C coils are metal tubes with really thin metal strips attached that are called fins. These fins bend and flatten REAL easy. Once flattened they can't always be straightened back out. You can look for videos on you tube that illustrate proper cleaning.

Old 05-15-14, 08:00 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you once again PJ. I have a HVAC tech that Ill call to check to see if I have a leak. It appears that may be the case.

Ill look at those videos. The outside unit, I have cleaned before. I may attempt to clean the A/C coils inside, depending on how scary they look. Last thing I want to do is ruin my unit.

Thanks again,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: