A/C Leak

Old 05-16-14, 02:34 PM
A/C Leak

My central a/c unit has a leak at a fitting. It's on the suction line located outside by the unit. Can this fitting be soldered or brazed to repair the leak and if it can please let me know what needs to be done so the repair is made correctly.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-14, 02:37 PM
Are you talking about the service access valves?

Old 05-16-14, 02:48 PM
No. This is on the low pressure side where there's an elbow. Looks like 1/2 or 5/8 inch pipe.

Old 05-16-14, 02:58 PM
OK, yes that can be brazed. You will have to have the refrigerant recovered or pumped down into the condenser. This is not a DIY job. Call a Pro.

Old 05-18-14, 05:38 AM
Freon must have all leaked out as gauge reads zero on low side. What will need to be done now in order to repair leaking solder joint.

Old 05-18-14, 08:42 AM
If the system is empty, the tech will have braze the hole. This all I tell you as this site does not allow instructions on how to recharge a system.

Old 05-18-14, 11:20 AM
The leak will need to be repaired with high temperature brazing rod . I have always called this silver solder ( like Sil-Fos ) , but that term may be incorrect ?

Do not be surprised if the tech suggests replacing the dryer , if internal pressure is zero . Air & water vapor may have found their way into the system . The water vapor is worse than the air . Neither are good .

After these things are done , the system will need to be evacuated with a vacuum pump . Then recharged with refrigerant .

This is an often performed procedure for a HVAC tech .

God bless
Wyr