Compressor, Outside fan run only 10 seconds, then shut off

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-14, 03:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Compressor, Outside fan run only 10 seconds, then shut off

Very old Carrier unit with Copeland compressor. R22.
Inside, thermostat clicks, inside blower turns on. No water in evaporative tray, clean filter.
Outside, the compressor and fan turn on together, run for 8 to 12 seconds, then turn off together.
I had to have the system recharged 3 years ago.
I have a large (2.5 inch) silver capacitor. It doesn't look bulged or oozy or otherwise damaged.

Can someone tell me what I need to do, to get the compressor running full time again? Or tell me what else to test, to be sure of what the problem is? I'm very good with cars, have done home electrical work, have diagnosed furnace troubles and replaced parts (flame sensor, gas valve, etc.), but have not done AC work before. However, I'm not afraid to try anything new.

I would appreciate any advice or insights. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-14, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 215 Votes on 204 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

WOW....Joined way back in 2009 and this is your first post.

It sounds like you'll need to a call an HVAC tech in there. There is a low pressure safety switch that shuts the compressor and the fan off thru the contactor if the refrigerant charge is low. This is done so that the compressor won't self destruct.

Old 05-16-14, 07:18 PM
You remember the old joke about the kid whose parents were worried because he never spoke? They took him to doctor after doctor, and none could find any reason for it. One day when he was 6, he looked up at breakfast and said, "My eggs are cold." His parents were overjoyed, and rejoiced that he could speak. He said, "I always could, but everything was all right before!" I guess everything was okay at our house before!

Thank you for responding - I appreciate your feedback. How do I reset that safety switch so the unit will accept a recharge? I tried to recharge it today, but the compressor wouldn't cycle enough to take in the new refrigerant. Thank you again.

Old 05-17-14, 12:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 215 Votes on 204 Posts
You are an EPA certified tech recharging your own unit ?

You would have to use a meter to confirm that the low pressure switch is activating and if you are a certified tech you should be charging with gauges and you'd know the pressure levels and if they were the problem.

Old 05-17-14, 10:11 AM
Right.

Low side: 63 when the system is off, and drops quickly to 0 when it runs (but it only runs for about 8 seconds).
High side: 72 when the system is off, and increases to 83 when it runs.
But since it's only running for 8 seconds, both readings fail to stabilize, and then quickly revert to 63 and 72 as soon as it shuts off.
Ambient outside temperature is 66 (thank goodness!). Inside temperature 68, stat set to 50 to get unit to run.
Compressor/Fan turn on for 8 seconds, within about a minute of turning on the system, and again about once every 15 minutes as long as the system is trying to reach the set temperature.

I appreciate any insight you can offer.

Old 05-17-14, 10:20 AM
Sounds like you have a slow leak , but I suspect you have already come to that conclusion ?

What tools do you have available ? Manifold & gauges ? Vacuum pump ? Etc ?

If you do not get any help , give me a shout off list .

God bless
Wyr

Old 05-17-14, 10:23 AM
Manifold and gauges. Thank you (for the blessing as well as the help)!

Old 05-17-14, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Sorry, see the sticky at the top of this Forum. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...ng-your-c.html

I have to close this thread.

Closed Thread