Brand New A/C Starts Cool Then Tapers Off

Old 05-17-14, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brand New A/C Starts Cool Then Tapers Off

Hello guys thought I'd get a 2nd opinion here.

I have a brand new Coleman 13ser unit; installed about 45 days ago. The other day I woke up and it was 82 I. The house and the unit was running but not blowing cold. I had to head to work so I just shut it off. Came back after work and turned it on before bed(set to 72); woke up and it was 73 and still on and running. I left it on and called the A/C guys and while waiting it slowly increased in temp to 76 by the time they arrived 2 hours later. While they were here it seemed to start cooling again and crept back down to 74. They were here 10mins and indicated everything checked out and that it was the batteries. I replaced the two AA's as instructed and they left.

Around 2 hours after they left it is still running and hasn't shut off; the air has warmed a bit(it's cool but nowhere near as cold as before) and the temp slowly raised backup to 76. I called them to come out again and it'll be a few hours. I shut it off because I didn't want it to keep running nonstop but when I called they asked to leave it running. When I shut it back on again it started cold like it should and now am waiting.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Been running for 4 hours now straight and hasn't shut down. Temp is now 79. Still waiting on A/C guys. Also those two lines that run to the house from outside(one should be ice cold, other hot); both are hot.

Last edited by Kanjilan; 05-17-14 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-14, 08:30 PM
Both lines hot !!, Sounds you have a blockage somewhere. Better wait for tech.

Old 05-18-14, 05:43 AM
Is the outside unit running continually , all this time ? Or does it shut down , from time to time .

God bless
Wyr

Old 05-19-14, 08:56 AM
It runs constantly never shutting down/cycling. The AC guys came out and thought it was the compressor, seems out that would go out when it's not even 1.5 months old. They're sending out another more -senior- tech they said; probably because even the AC company doesn't believe the first guys who came out.

I spent the weekend at a hotel because I couldn't stand the 89 temp. I came back to the house and again turning it on after it has been off for two days it's blowing cold but I doubt it'll stay that way. And of course because it's not doing the problem now I bet this senior guy will think its fine. And the merry-go-round continues...

Old 05-19-14, 10:12 AM
What is the outside temp doing during these times?

It may be drawing hot air from the attic or garage into the Return-Air; when attic heats up unit can't keep up; air coming off condenser would be hot.

Check the air temp coming off the outdoor condenser, let us know what it is compared to outdoor temp.

Get a humidity gauge at a hardware store & always let us know what the humidity reading in your home is.

If condenser air split isn't high/hot enough it may have a restriction somewhere in the refrigerant system.

Old 05-19-14, 10:20 AM
UPDATE: The senior A/C guy came out and installed what he called a "startup assist" for the compressor. Soon as he did that it began cooling; so far it's still sending cold air; it'll take time to see if it's fixed. I assume it'll be a bit to cool from 89 it was at down to the 74 setting I usually have.

Old 05-19-14, 11:17 AM
Well, his determination was that the compressor was not starting part of the time.

Time will tell if that is/was the problem.

Old 05-19-14, 01:13 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't think i'd be happy with a brand new unit that required a hard start kit to get it going.

Old 05-19-14, 02:28 PM
Compressor does not start won't cause the small line hot...

Old 05-20-14, 02:39 AM
I agree , brand new condenser & it needs a hard start kit ? Does not sound right ?

Try checking the voltage with it running , after it has been running a while ?

I am wondering if you have low voltage , intermittently ? Which could be difficult to pin down . Not too likely , kind of a shot in the dark . But all that comes to mind .

With the circuit breaker off , CAREFULLY , check all 240 VAC electrical connections . Is the circuit breaker " plugged in " securely ? Screws tight where the wires terminate to the circuit breaker ?

You have an outside disconnect ? Check the screws and the condition of the wires , there . Is the wire in the flex , going from the disconnect to the unit , OK / tight ?

Are those wires OK in the unit and screws OK / tight ? You see any thing else that does not look right ? If so take pics and post them .

God bless
Wyr