How do I replace a drain pan ?

Old 05-21-14, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I replace a drain pan ?

I have a 10 year old 4 ton Rheem split system. The air handler is in the attic. Because of drain line problem I had a few years ago, the drain pan is now all rusted. My question is the air handler is so heavy, and it is attached by pipes and ducts. how do I replace the drain pan under it ? Is this a big job ? Who should I call ? AC tech ? or Plumber ? Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-14, 10:23 AM
Most of the time you don't have to do anything with the airhandler. It's not a big job. If it's just surface rust and there are no holes in it I wouldn't do anything to it.

Old 05-21-14, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the response. It is rusted pretty bad, but the pan has been dry since I fixed the primary drain 3 years ago. So I don't know if there is a hole or not Today. You said it is not a big job. I just wonder how to lift the air handler (Needs about 3 inches so that I can pull the old pan out) with all the pipes and ducts are connected on there? and it is heavy. If I call a AC pro, do they have special tools or methods to do this type of work ?

Old 05-21-14, 11:47 AM
OK, I have a better idea of what you have. The pan is sitting on the joist and airhandler is set directly on the pan?

Old 05-21-14, 12:18 PM
Yes, The pan is sitting on the joist and airhandler is set directly on the pan.

Old 05-21-14, 02:31 PM
In my area I rarely see furnaces in the attic, this may be a common way to install the furnace. That being said, I think this is a crappy way to install a furnace. I would like to see how he piped the condensate trap. Did he use a condensate pump?
OK back on subject, I don't think this would be a good DIY. Call a HVAC pro.