Outdoor AC unit making a loud rattling noise?

Old 05-21-14, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Outdoor AC unit making a loud rattling noise?

Here's what I know. My AC is working beautifully inside the house. The outside unit, which I am now leaving OFF, is making a loud rattling noise. Loud enough to make the neighbor's dog bark. It sounds like something is loose in the unit or the fan is out of whack. Metal rattling on metal sound. The noise is definitely coming from the location of the fan & motor. But when I look, I see nothing. Could this be the motor? If not, I am so lost. I did replace the fan motor last year but with an extremely cheap one.

My apologizes for the horrible, possibly useless video. It looks like the fan is in slow motion, which it's not. And the noise can barely be heard. I can try to get a better video if needed.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/gUJQweCvc-s?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/gUJQweCvc-s?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-14, 08:36 AM
Old 05-21-14, 08:54 AM
It sounds like the blades are hitting the housing. Most likely the the motor is loose.

Old 05-23-14, 02:38 PM
Thank you! It was nothing more than a loose screw on the hub on the fan.

Old 06-09-14, 05:30 AM
we had a similar problem, fixed by the leveling of our out door unit

we had the similar problem, found that the terminix guy moved the unit off level. we put the leveler on top of the unit and try to bring it back to leveled position, after it was leveled, the fan blade stated running smoothly and the noise was stopped....