Window air conditioner unit modification question

Old 05-22-14, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window air conditioner unit modification question

So I'm trying to figure out if I can somehow directly hook up my liquid cooled PC to the internals of a window air conditioning unit. This would involve removing the housing, fans and basically everything from the unit with the exception of the condenser coils, evaporator coils, and compressor. Basically I would want to run the water over the evaporator coils in the same loop that my PC uses. The problem is I'm not sure if the condenser coils actually NEED to be cooled. I realize they get hot, but are they getting so hot that they require heat to be removed?

One way I could mitigate that problem is by setting up a separate loop that would use roughly 1/4 of the water cooled by the evaporator section to cool the condenser coils. Anyway just looking for anyone knowledgeable in this area. Mainly if you know whether or not a broken fan on the condenser coils causes catastrophic failure.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-14, 01:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You need to know how an air conditioner works. The A/C extracts heat from the air that goes thru the evaporator coil via the refrigerant and discharges it outside when the fan blows air thru the condensor.

The A/C will not function without air being blown thru the evaporator coil or the condensor coil. It is a closed loop system.

Look into Peltier cooling. The following you tube link is a working system demonstration.
Peltier Cooler - YouTube