Thoughts on what type of AC to buy?

Old 05-22-14, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Thoughts on what type of AC to buy?

Basic question, I know, but I just bought my first townhouse and have never looked into this sort of thing before. Up here in the Pacific Northwest, no one installs AC - they say all you need is a good cross breeze (which does nothing when it's 90 degrees outside). But I digress.

Our townhouse is 2 stories with a basement. It's brand new construction. Heating is provided by a radiant in-floor system controlled on each floor. There is no sort of ductwork in the home and attic space is so minimal, I don't know if anyone should be climbing around in there. Our windows are all large, so adding a window unit isn't much of an option without making it look ugly as hell. And I can't say I've have much luck in the past with those portable units that vent out a window.

Ideally, we'd want some sort of unit that could keep most of the downstairs cool (the whole floor is open and is about 750 sq ft). Then for the upstairs, we'd want something for the master bedroom (@ 350 sq ft). Again, windows aren't much of an option, but if some cutting into the side of the house had to happen, that'd be ok. We're just hoping to keep things "minimal" so there isn't a giant piece of metal sticking outside the side of our house.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-14, 06:47 AM
You did not mention mini-split..

Old 05-23-14, 07:56 AM
Is a mini-split one of those duct-less systems? How exactly do those work?

Old 05-23-14, 09:26 AM
Can not compare to central, but much better than portable or window units. Yes you can call it duct-less. Evaporator is inside of you room, like a window unit, but most time installed on the wall. The condenser is outside just like a regular central system. Search internet, you will find tons of information.

Old 05-23-14, 12:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
A mini split would only require a hole large enough to fit the electrical lines, drain line and refrigerant lines cut into the wall.

Old 05-23-14, 12:38 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Food for thought - You'd better check with the community board on what's allowed, that might limit you to what you can use.

Old 05-23-14, 04:21 PM
Mini-split sounds like the way to go, as I'd rather have a 2"-3" hole in my wall rather than a hole the size of a wall unit.

No board or HOA in my community, so I can do whatever I want. And my realtor says AC tends add nice value to homes up here since it's so rare.

Thanks, gang.