AC Refuses to Turn On Temporarily and Randomly

Old 05-25-14, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC Refuses to Turn On Temporarily and Randomly

Over the past week on two separate occasions my outside ac unit has refused to come on. Most of the time it works just fine. What has happened on these two occasions is that the thermostat indoors will repeatedly make a clicking noise as if its trying to turn the air on. This click happens once every 20 seconds or so. After a few hours the ac unit miraculously and randomly just kicks back on and starts working as usual again. What could make an AC unit stop working temporarily?

Here are a few things I have noticed:
  • The heat works just fine while the ac is acting up. When I switch the thermostat over to heat, it turns on and works as normal.
  • The blower inside works fine if I turn it to on while the ac is acting up.
  • While the ac unit outdoors refuses to turn on there is no humming sound coming from the motor. It just simply won't turn power up.
  • I can't see any overflowed water in the condensation pan in the attic.
  • The ac unit is older, approximately 10 years old.

Seeing as how the problem remedies itself after a few hours it must not be a power issue. Anyone experience this before? Any advice on how to troubleshoot?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-14, 09:37 AM
The stat clicking every 20 second could be your problem. Does the outside unit start and stop when the stat is clicking?

Old 05-25-14, 09:54 AM
No. While the tstat is clicking the unit does not turn on at all. Heat works if I switch to heat.

Old 05-25-14, 10:03 AM
Try taking the stat off to expose the wires. Jumper R to Y and see if the outside unit runs. Don't let it run to long, as you won't have any indoor fan running. Let me know.