Air not blowing through vents?....

Old 05-25-14, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air not blowing through vents?....

Ok, another problem with my other A/C unit. It never fails. Anyway, I have a goodman A/C / heating unit. When I turn my thermostat to cool and set it to 5 degrees then what the room is reading the unit will turn on, but there is not air circulating (being pushed) through any of the vents. Now the actual unit in my attic turns on and sounds like it normally does.

I have the fan to this unit outside of my home and it turns on spins without a problem. I have a drip pan and its bone dry so I can't say my emergency cut off switch was tripped.

Before I start taking off the doors to the unit, is there something I should first look at?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-14, 12:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
If the air handler in the attic is turning on then where is the air going if it isn't coming out of the vents ?
Check for clogged filter.

Old 05-25-14, 12:07 PM
im going to check now. When you refer to filter PJmax, are you referring to the 3m filter I change monthly or is there a second filter in the actual unit in the attic? Either way im heading there now to check and sweat some weight off.

Old 05-25-14, 12:38 PM
HOLY BEJESUS.. look what I found. I decided to open the panels and this is what I saw..

Name:  20140525_152559.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  19.4 KB

This is a side view.. (I dont know why it always post this way, but tilt your head to the left and you are looking it like it really is.

NOW WHAT DO I DO.. btw I left the panel off and it's so hot up in my attic and cause im in the south that it probably melted.

Thanks,

Old 05-25-14, 02:15 PM
Ice is gone.. can I...

Ok the ice is nearly melted and I shop vac'ed the water that was going to flow drain the pvc drainage pipe.

What I've done is went outside and sucked and then blew up into the drain pipe an an attempt to dislodge any blockage that may have been in the plumbers catchs in the pipe. However, since I was only using a high powered shop vac I dont think I was able to do anything as the last time I used a CO2 cartridge.

Anyhow, I think I truly need refrigerant as my coils are very clean. I have very little dust in the attic and the unit itself is very clean. Now once the ice melts I am going to run the system to see if this was causing the lack of air flow and when I do this can I leave the panel housing the coil off? I was wondering that I could run the system without having it freeze on me again until I get the HVAC here.

Thanks.

Old 05-25-14, 02:21 PM
If you have airflow and verified a clean coil and filter, it's a waste of time to try running it again. It will only do damage to the compressor IMO.

Old 05-25-14, 02:40 PM
thanks Tinmantu, I am only lead to believe thats its in need of refrigerant. I (HVAC TECH) filled this same unit last year with refrigerant. I am wondering if theirs a small leak somewhere.

Old 05-25-14, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
No need to wonder, you have a leak. It should have been found and fixed last year. A/Cs are closed systems, it doesn't get used up or worn out. The only reason it would need any re-filling is if it leaked out somewhere.

Old 05-25-14, 03:14 PM
thanks gun. with that said, Im assuming my refrigerant is or should be depleted so there is no need to turn it back on with the panel off. How do they check for a leak? Is there some sort of dye used? Also, is it an easy fix? Once found.

Old 05-25-14, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
No, no reason to turn it on and plenty to leave it off.

Leak checking is done with an electronic sniffer device.

As to the fix...well, brace yourself. It might be easy and it might be hard (if they even find the leak). It could be something as simple as a leaky shrader valve (where they hook up gauges) or as bad as a hole in a line in the wall.

No Tech here, but as I understand it, they will have to pump the system down (depending on how empty it is, maybe not in your case since you had the icing, there's still some in there), then refill it, then hunt for the leak, then pump it down again, fix the leak or replace the leaking part if it can't be repaired, then fill with nitrogen, pump THAT down, then re-fill to spec.

You could easily be looking at $500-600 or even more.

Old 05-25-14, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Once the ice has melted..... double check the air flow thru the system. Go to FAN ON mode and check at the registers and see if it feels like it used to.

Old 05-25-14, 05:05 PM
thanks PJ and Gun. I just turned the unit on and the air came out full force with the exception of the cold. It was cool, but nowhere as cold as downstairs is. So I am very confident there is a leak. At least I know what it is.

thanks for everyone's help.

Old 05-25-14, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
Hopefully, they can find the leak easily and repair it cost effectively.

Old 06-03-14, 10:31 PM
Question

If refrigerant leaked out what's making it cold enough to form ice on coils. I'm new to using forums so I apologize in advance if I should have started a new thread. I have a similar problem. A-Coil is very clean and when I turn system on it runs cold with nice air flow but after a few hours the airflow is reduced by 75-80%. I haven't checked for ice on coils. I am going to do that next time I use it and i lose airflow. Thanks. Any info will be greatly appreciated