AC not cooling after drip pan filled up

Old 05-25-14, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC not cooling after drip pan filled up

First post on this forum, so, thanks in advance for the help-

I live in a 3 bedroom house in South Florida and about 3 days ago, we noticed that there was water dripping from the attic. I immediatelly thought about the AC unit which is in the attic and the drain line that could be cloghed. I was right.

The dripping pan was full and I was able to clean that out with a shop vac, connecting the vac to the drain line outside. A lot of stuff came out, it was some beige stuff that was clogging the drain line.

After cleaning up the drain line, I left the AC off for about two hours to let things dry up and turned the AC back on. After that, for whatever reason, the AC is not cooling down anymore.

The outside unit is working, the fan is working and there's a thick coper line that feels very cold. Colder than a bottle of beer. The coils are clean, there's nothing blocking the outside unit.

The unit in the attic is also working. I opened two side panels and I can see the water pan, empty, and one thing that looks like an engine, working rotating, and that feels cold as well.

My logical thinking is telling me that maybe something needs to be reset after the pan filled up. Maybe something gets disabled or shutoff once the pan fills up as a safety measure. Does that make sense at all?

The unit is fairly new. I purchased this AC system back 7 - 8 months ago. I do believe I made a bad choice regarding a brand.

It is a 3 Ton Philco 14 SEERS.

I'll be posting pictures tomorrow in the morning from my computer, as I'm on my ipad right now. With that, I'll also post the model number and any other information you might need to help me through this process.

Thanks in advance for the help and sorry for not being able to detail technicalities around the issues as I would like to.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-14, 12:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 327 Votes on 306 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Some systems are set up that if the drain pan fills up it shuts the compressor down. Since yours overflowed I'd say you don't have that type of setup. (nothing to reset)

If your compressor unit outside is running and the larger copper line is cold then your A/C is working. Is the blower in the air handler on.... are you getting air out of the registers ?

A brand new system should not have plugged up like that. The drain system should be checked out.

Old 05-26-14, 09:29 AM
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm getting air from the vents. They are just not as cold. They're a light breeze and the house never cools down.

Old 05-26-14, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 327 Votes on 306 Posts
They are just not as cold. They're a light breeze and the house never cools down.
Light breeze..... I take it that it was blowing harder before ?
Check the filter(s).

You should still be under your original installation warranty too.

Old 05-26-14, 11:36 AM
Used to be harder and much colder.

I completely removed the filter, because that's where the water was dripping through, when the pan filled up the very first time.

Are there any other filters I can check?