AC leaking + mold growth?

Old 05-27-14, 04:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC leaking + mold growth?

Hello,
I noticed that my (whole house / forced air) AC is leaking water from the indoor unit. It drips from the area around the red plug. I assume the pipe next to it is the drain pipe but I am not sure.

On the right side of the plug, where the pipe is, it looks like there is something growing. Is that mold? What can I do?

Thank you!

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-14, 06:03 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Thats a secondary drain or a drain for another application like Horizontal. Id clean drain line so you know its not stopped up. You could look inside the coil compartment to see if there is mold.

Old 05-30-14, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Possible Mold in Air Conditioner

Its hard to tell by the pictures, but if you can easily take the panel off, you might be able to see where the the leaking is coming from. I'm not sure how comfortable you are with your hvac/furnace maintenance skills, but it is always good idea to read the manufacturers manual before taking things off the unit.
Its possible that it's just condensation collecting around the cap. I've learned that typically, if there is persistent moisture, then there is probably mold. I would do all you can to identify the source of the moisture. Even if you decide to just clean it, the problem will come back unless the moisture problem is addressed. If you decide to address the mold issue, here is a handy little website I know of that has a step-by-step outline of removing mold in your air conditioner, DIY style. Hope this helps. Good luck.