Drain pan full of water - line not clogged

Old 05-27-14, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drain pan full of water - line not clogged

We have a zero clearance attic air handler. The primary line feeds into our bathtub drain. The secondary line (which drips into the tub) has started to drip and no amount of unclogging of the primary line will fix the problem. We used a condenser to blow air through the primary line and didn't receive any blow back. We ran water with a water hose through the line (so much so that I could see it running in the bathtub drain). We poured a bleach mixture down the drain access and it just went right down. We've used a shop vac and tried to suck anything out. Nothing. The primary drain was level so we rigged a little slope to let gravity help and still nothing. The drain pan fills and when the ac kicks on the secondary drip line starts dripping again. When the ac cycles off we are left with about an inch of standng water in the pan.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-14, 10:53 AM
What you have is a crack in your evaporator drain pain. The drain line is connected to the evap coil and it has a pan in it to collect water. Its leaking right from that pan. You can confirm it by cutting main drain, putting a pvc 3/4 inch elbow on the end and pour water into pan and see if ut holds. If it doesnt the. Evap drain pan is cracked

Old 05-27-14, 11:49 AM
I only see one pan below the unit where both the primary and secondary (slightly higher in position) drain lines feed from. This is the pan that has standing water. Is there another pan inside the air handler?

I believe the secondary line is doing its job and my pan is not leaking into house. Its just that the pan and primary line have standing water in them.

Old 05-27-14, 12:48 PM
Yes there is a drain pan inside the unit. The pan your looking at is the backup pan to catch water if your main pan overflows. Are both drain lines draining into the the backup pan? Your primary drain should be piped strait to the drain.

Old 05-27-14, 01:40 PM
This is my air handler. I only have access to the unit from the bottom, so I thought the two pipes coming out of the bottom pan were my primary and secondary drain lines. If those aren't it, then where would the main drain be on this unit?

Name:  AC.jpg
Views: 7000
Size:  6.8 KB

First Company 2.5 Ton Fan Coil Unit With 10kw - 30HX10-240

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Old 05-27-14, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Not a terribly helpful picture and not much more found on their site either.

Old 05-27-14, 03:44 PM
OK, what you have is a fan coil, not what I had pictured in my head. I'm confused on what the drain lines look like. You say it drains into a bath tub?

Old 06-06-14, 08:58 AM
Yes, here is a picture of my actual lines. I believe my primary line drains into my shower plumbing and my secondary line just drips into the actual tub.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 7727
Size:  37.4 KBAttachment 32879

Old 06-06-14, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
If the top line, where I have the red line, is full of water then you have a clog and most likely by the blue circle. It's only PVC. Don't be afraid to cut it to clean it. It's inexpensive and easy to repair.

Name:  drain.jpg
Views: 6682
Size:  20.2 KB

Old 06-06-14, 09:30 AM
Unfortunately, where your blue circle is actually a 90 degree angle straight into a whole cut in the 2x4 you can see behind the PVC and I can't get access to it other than ripping out my bathroom walls.

I did cut right after the access joint and used a small plumbing snake to get as far as I could, then I used compressed air and shot it down the pipe, but when I hooked everything back up again the pipe just filled with water again. I took it apart again and use a water hose and shot water down the pipe. I could hear it flowing and nothing blocked it, but again when hooked it back up the pipe just fills again.

Could there be something blocking the PVC that allows high pressure (water hose, compressed air) to get through, but blocks up with a slow drip?

Old 06-06-14, 10:31 AM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
I can't tell from the picture, but does the pipe that is filling up have the correct slope? In other words, is the drain end lower than the input end? If the slope was marginal when the drain pipe was installed, it's possible that the things settled enough so that the slope changed slightly.

Old 06-06-14, 01:18 PM
The drain end is slightly lower than the input end - maybe a 1/2 - 1 inch or so. However, it turns at a 90 degree angle into the wall and I'm not able to see if it continues in a downward slope or if it has settled and somehow slopes back up.

Old 06-06-14, 06:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
I installed a 2.5 ton 1st Company unit like that one in a house 2 weeks ago.

Are the 4 bolts that hold the unit to the ceiling still screwed all the way to the ceiling?

Have you tried a shop vac in the pan?

Has anyone accidentally pulled the secondary pipe lower?