New Carrier AC system pricing advice

Old 05-31-14, 07:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Carrier AC system pricing advice

Hi...looking for some pricing advice on a new carrier ac system. We're in Mass. and have a 2 zone HVAC system. System for the 2nd floor broke down. It's 3 1/2 ton and 17 years old. Looking to replace with Carrier Performance 17 condenser with Carrier Performance variable speed air handler model #FV4CNF005000. Quote also includes a Carrier Edge Thermostat. All in price including all rebates is $6,965.00. Good deal? Bad deal? Fair deal? If you feel this is high, would love to know what you feel a fair price is. I do have other estimates from other manufacturers, but this is the system I'd like to focus on. Thanks so much for your help as I'm pretty clueless about this stuff.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-14, 09:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Looks like a good price to me.
The Carrier Edge is an expensive thermostat that isn't very user friendly and the dozen or so that I have installed do not support wifi.

The Edge does look great on a wall but the Prestige IAQ would be a better choice.

Old 05-31-14, 01:51 PM
Why carrier? You can get the same quality or better with a better warranty with other brands. Don't brand shop.

Old 05-31-14, 02:30 PM
I also have quotes from Train and Lennox. Just seems like most pro's comment most positively about Carrier, but I have no allegiance to any brand. The main reason for choosing carrier is that the dealer is very close to my house, so I can always find him if something goes wrong! They also get high marks on Angies List, as do all the dealers I had come out. Pricing was very similar no matter what the brand. Do you have a point of view regarding which manufacturers I should be considering?

Old 05-31-14, 04:55 PM
Received 23 Votes on 18 Posts
Do you need high end equipment?

Best value is a 14 SEER condenser combined with a variable speed air handler, which nets 15 seer. (some brands may offer a 16 seer single stage, but no 14/15)

The higher end models tend to be two stage and have expensive, proprietary circuit boards which can fail. The law of diminishing returns applies when it comes to seer ratings.

Old 06-01-14, 01:20 PM
What I have read seems to indicate the variable speed indoor fan motors are $$$ , also ?

God bless
Wyr

Old 06-01-14, 01:42 PM
To get more than 14.5 seer, you're always looking at a variable speed indoor fan.

Variable speed may be worth the extra money -> not only are these fans more efficient, they also do a really good job of maintaining proper airflow and can be hooked up to a humidistat. (when humidity exceeds a certain level, the fan slows down to pull more moisture out of the air.)

Two-stage may be worth the extra money if you're very particular when it comes to temperature control and noise -> personally, I would stick with single stage, 15-16 seer. (cheaper to buy, cheaper to repair)

Old 06-02-14, 01:42 AM
99.9% of the time our humidity is LOW . So , that is not a consideration .

My existing central unit is a 13 SEER . Regular indoor fan motor .

God bless
Wyr

Old 06-02-14, 12:58 PM
Out of curiosity, why are you looking at replacement?

13 seer isn't bad at all -> going from 13 to 15-17 is hard to justify unless replacement is the only option.

Old 06-03-14, 04:12 PM
I'm definitely a believer in high efficiency equipment. No replacement for total comfort. I'm currently in the process of putting in a two stage variable speed furnace with a 16 seer two stage heat pump, EWC zoning controls, communicating controls, steam humidifier, uv light, the whole 9 for one of my new customers.