13,000 BTU Wall Air Conditioner not cold

Old 05-26-14, 08:10 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question 13,000 BTU Wall Air Conditioner not cold

We have a Maytag 13,000 BTU Wall mounted Air Conditioner. About 15 years old. A huge model that really gets cold. This year we turned it on and it feels like just the fan is on. Turns on and off ok. Goes low to medium to high ok.
We do periodically change the filter. Now when the AC turns on its just warm air coming out of the unit. Doesn't turn off just keeps putting out warm air.

Suggestions would be appreciated. Is it time to toss this thing. Its expensive so I thought I'd try here first. Thanks.

Old 05-27-14, 12:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The problem with small window and wall mounted A/C units is that they aren't really user serviceable. It sounds like your compressor is not running. You would have to take it out of the wall and apart to troubleshoot it.

If you want to take it out and apart I'll tell you what to check. You'll need a VOM (volt ohmmeter) for testing.

Old 05-27-14, 02:07 PM
H
when replacing is it possible to replace a wall mounted ac and purchase a window air conditioner. Immediate problems to take not of when interchanging. I see some better prices with the window ones. yes they are smaller in btus also. this was a 13000 one and I was looking at a Frigidaire 10000 window.

Old 05-27-14, 02:17 PM
Group Moderator
It is not the most effective choice to replace a wall unit with a window type. The air intake and discharge locations must be confirmed that they won't be blocked off by the wall sleeve.

Old 05-27-14, 02:56 PM
P
How about the fans on the side. My guess is if these get covered the ac would malfunction

Old 05-27-14, 03:21 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Here they almost always use window ACs as through the walls but as PJ said it is important not to block the side vents. You never use the old sleeve. The opening in the wall must be at least six inches larger then the AC on both sides. The extra space on each side is filled in with panels close enough to the inside of the room they don't block the side vents. Panels can be made with a 1x2 frame covered with 3/8" plywood on both sides and insulation in between or as simple as Ύ" plywood. Attention to any vents in the top need to considered to and space provided in a similar way if needed. Never even knew they used through the walls except in motels till I joined the forum. Must be a northern thing. Or more likely because only poor people here have houses without central AC. and poor people can't afford through the wall ACs.

Old 05-27-14, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
The sleeve system was real popular in apartment complexes. They would install the sleeve with blank covers. Then when you moved in you could by the A/C from them.

Old 05-27-14, 05:07 PM
H
one more comment or rather question concerning this. The ac weighs about 200 pounds so am worried about getting the thing out of the wall hanging at about 10 feet.

One thing mentioned was that it used to make a lot of noise when turned on and it still does but it used to kind of make a rumbling noise when first turned on and the cold air would come poring out. Now it just makes a lot of noise and only warm air. All switches work as functioned just no cold air.

In your opinion is it still the condenser? ( I know you'd need more details but based on past experience.) Thx..Name:  SAM_1419.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  24.6 KB

Last edited by helpless1; 05-27-14 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-28-14, 05:14 AM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
The rumbling noise you used to hear is likely the compressor running. Since you're not hearing it now, and the air is warm, indicates that the compressor is likely not running (or not running efficiently). It could be any number of things wrong, but as PJmax indicated, you'll need to remove the unit from the wall and take off the covers to diagnose what the problem is. Given it's age, it's debatable whether it's worth repairing. If it's leaking refrigerant, it's likely not worth repairing, however if it's a simple electrical issue, it probably is.

Old 05-28-14, 07:33 AM
H
Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated. This A/C weighs about over 100 pounds and I tried just nudging the machine. It didn't move. In fact I went outside to get this photo and tried pushing up and side to side and it didn't even nudge. Looks like it needs to come out through the inside of house but am not sure. I was doing pull ups on the machine as its in there real snug.

Suggestions as to how to get this out of the wall? Obviously I'll need people stronger than me as this A/C seems like a beast. I couldn't find any screws to take off. I took off the cover holding the filter and didn't spot anything. My guess is it slides out through the inside of the house. If it does what would I need to disassemble to get this out of the wall. Thank you!!!

Old 05-28-14, 08:39 AM
You're correct, it comes out via the inside. While I'm not certain (I've never taken one out), I believe that it just slides out (no screws). Others may have better knowledge of how it comes out.

Without equipment, you will likely need 3 people: two inside (one on each side) to support the unit while it slides out, and one outside pushing it in. Alternatively, you may be able to rent a platform jack (not sure what it's called). It looks like a scissors jack but has a platform on it to stand on. I've seen painters, etc. using it to reach the ceiling area while working near the ceiling. If you can rent one of these, you could position it underneath the unit so that it's supporting the weight of the unit, while sliding it out.

Old 05-28-14, 08:50 AM
Group Moderator
You're correct, it comes out via the inside. While I'm not certain (I've never taken one out), I believe that it just slides out (no screws)
Correct and correct...............................................

Old 05-28-14, 09:29 AM
H
Thank you for the help on this matter. Much appreciated. Excellent web site. Will use often.

Old 05-29-14, 10:57 AM
H
Can you tell by the photo below if this A/C has a sleeve. Also I could get a window A/C (Price is lower) and stick up there. I've read mixed reviews. Mostly negative. It's starting to appear (by the way we have no windows that an air conditioner will go into.) that an in wall A/C is our only option.

Walmart has some inexpensive window units with 13000 BTU's but from what I've read by sitting in this location (see photo) the unit would overheat or not function adequately.

Portables and central air are out.

Thanks for any suggestions!!!!

Also, Whirlpool said this model was mfg in 1985 and parts have been discontinued. Does that rule out repair?

Old 05-29-14, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I don't see any photo..............

Old 05-30-14, 04:18 AM
The picture is in post #8.

Old 05-30-14, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
OIC It sounded like they added another photo.

Old 06-01-14, 06:08 PM
H
Went with a Frigidaire in the wall model. Started to slide it out of the wall but due to weight thought better to shove back in the wall. Hope the Frigidaire will fit into the whirlpool sleeve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: