AC Condensation pump issue - I think

Old 06-03-14, 12:25 PM
AC Condensation pump issue - I think

Hello, I turned my AC on for the first time this season since it was hot (i live in PA). This morning I noticed pools of water around the unit, so I monitored it today while the AC was running. Water is still leaking from what i think is the condensation pump. I attached some photos. I bought this house last summer and ran the AC for several months last year and did not have this issue.

I would like to troubleshoot myself, if it is an easy fix, I appreciate any guidance.

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-14, 01:17 PM
Those two unused wires indicate that the safety switch to prevent this are not hooked up. It's fairly simple to clean the pump up out in the yard with a hose. Then make sure that both hoses are clear leading into and out of it...the one with the clamp is the discharge hose. After cleaning, I take a pitcher of water and pour into the unit and test it.

Old 06-03-14, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
If the water is coming out of the pump at the red arrow - then you have a pump or discharge line problem.

If the water is coming out of the ductwork or from under the furnace - then you'll need to remove the hose that the red arrow is pointing all the back to the place where it exits the furnace and check for a clog.

Name:  cpump.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  28.9 KB

Old 06-03-14, 07:03 PM
Thank you both. I am happy to report that iwas able to take it apart and clean it. There was rust colored gunk in the black reservoir and the pump itself. The intake tubing was also filled with this gunk. After cleaning it allup and putting back together it now seems to work as it should. Where do I tie in thesthe safety cut off wires? I would like to do that

Old 06-03-14, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
Extend those two wires using thermostat cable to where the thermostat connects to the furnace. Look at the connection point for the thermostat.You should see a Y terminal with two wires on it. One should be yellow. Remove the other wire and connect one of the safety switch to that wire and the other to the Y terminal.

If this doesn't make sense or match my description.... post a picture of the wiring area.