teardown old ac

Old 06-04-14, 02:28 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
teardown old ac

I had my whole ac system replaced in my house and they got the old freon out of it so now I have both units to do something with. I heard that it should be torn apart to get copper and such out of it. I googled how to do it but couldn;t find any real clear instructions. I have all tools and such but wondered if anyone had a list of what I should remove. I know there is a good bit of copper in there but I saw where people said to tear down the compressor and bust off the u shaped pieces of the radiator parts. Wondered if that was all standard.

Old 06-04-14, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,949 Votes on 2,662 Posts
Some parts are aluminum and are worth nothing for scrap.
The connecting lines between the two units are definitely copper.

Old 06-04-14, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Even the aluminum coils are worth something...at least around here they are.

Best to call/visit wherever you plan to take it to find out if it's worth it.

And be prepared, don't know about VA, but out here, you get thumb printed and a copy of your ID is made if you bring in things that could have possibly been ripped out of a vacant house.

Old 06-04-14, 08:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 34 Posts
We must show proof of registration with the the Texas Department of Licensing and Registration to sell coils around here. A drivers license alone is not accepted.

This probably varies with other states.

Old 06-05-14, 04:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
don't know about VA, but out here, you get thumb printed and a copy of your ID is made if you bring in things that could have possibly been ripped out of a vacant house.
I sell a bit of scrap from time to time and they require that in both Tn and VA - I don't think it matters what the scrap is, just part of the recycling paper work.

Old 06-05-14, 06:10 PM
F
not sure on the fingerprinting either. I call a place by the name of gerdau and they said if I bring unit its just shred, but if I want I can seperate the parts. and I still need to get in top of house and get the old copper lines out or at least what I can get to.

Old 06-06-14, 02:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You'll get more per pound if you separate it, you'll have to determine if it's worth the extra effort.

Old 06-08-14, 09:52 AM
W
The ID and paper work is largely because of theft , but I am guessing some of it is so the IRS can track down large $$$ amounts & make sure some one pays taxes on it .

I once watched a you tube video by a guy in Australia that used an angle grinder to cut open the compressors . Ge retrieved the copper & sold the rest for scrap steel .

God bless
Wyr

Old 06-18-14, 06:58 PM
F
seperated what copper I could. they gave me a separate price on copper, radiators, and fan motors. The rest they had as "shred" and yes they ask for your ID I'm assuming to keep records of it.

Old 06-19-14, 03:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
As Wyr stated, the main reason for getting your ID and thumbprint is so whenever stolen items are scrapped, they have a better chance of catching the thieves. It's not uncommon for low lifes to rip out the condenser on unoccupied homes and then scrap out the metal. A few yrs ago the outside unit was stolen from a local church during the week. The thief was caught later on, presumably the scrap yard records helped.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: