Trane xl14i AC diagnosis-repair...hum outside

Old 05-31-14, 10:35 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane xl14i AC diagnosis-repair...hum outside

Turning thermostat to call for cooling gets the blower going and causes a hum outside. Based on my limited knowledge and google skills, it sounds like a bad capacitor is on the short list of things that may cause this.

Looking at the capacitor tells me if it isn't bad yet, it will be soon, so I will replace this no matter what. There is no bulge I can see, but it is very rusty.

Any thoughts?

Also, after carefully noting all wire placement, I figured maybe I could clean corrosion and get it going. As I was taking off the wires the other end of the short jumper came off. I figure it goes to the slightly bent terminal at the top of the switch next to it, but of course I didn't look, notice or take a photo so I am just guessing because it appears worn and used.

There is also a place it would reach at the side/middle of that relay, but the contact doesn't look used.

Any help you can offer is appreciated. I have a friend who may be able to come over and help so if I find the correct info, I will edit this post for posterity.

Attached Images   
Old 05-31-14, 10:50 AM
S
Yea, that cap needs to go. Take a pic of the wiring diagram and post it. I don't want to give any advise till I see the diagram.

Old 05-31-14, 12:12 PM
H
Thanks for the post. I figured going out, turning the cover over and taking a photo would be really easy, but....

maybe the wife has an idea where any documentation is. Still looking.

Attached Images   
Old 05-31-14, 12:21 PM
S
I have seen that many times, let me see if I can find some info on it.

Old 05-31-14, 12:35 PM
S
Yes you are right. Red lands on the contactor.

Old 05-31-14, 12:42 PM
H
Thanks Skaggs.

I ordered up a cap and will post any updates to the situation. The condition of that capacitor encourages optimism for now. Somehow that never seems to turn out to be the case for me, but we will see.

Old 06-05-14, 01:50 PM
H
Just for posterity...that ugly cap was bad. A friend tested it as the replacement was inbound and it was no good as well as bad looking.

Replaced it and all seems well. It's in the 60's today so I am not running the unit for long, but Saturday if the weatherman is correct, I will give it a better test.

Thanks for the help

Old 06-05-14, 03:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
I see that heavy corrosion with a lot of Trane units with that small corner panel.
I usually write the 2 capacitor values in the control box with a marker in case the corrosion makes it impossible to read a capacitor in the future.

The double panel on the older units provided much better protection.

Old 06-05-14, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
If that contactor, and its contacts, are as rusted as that cap it may need to be replaced soon too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: