American Standard Freedom 80 downward airflow - blocked airflow

Old 06-07-14, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
American Standard Freedom 80 downward airflow - blocked airflow

When replacing the air filer the attached air freshener pad (4"x4") dropped down in to the system, which is now causing a blockage/vibration. My DYI confidence level is high, but I figure I should step back and ask for input before I work to access the blower area. Is this and advisable DYI situation or am I going to break a seal or something else that is just going to cost me money to have a pro come in to work on anyway to get the object out?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-14, 07:09 AM
Pictures , please ?

The air freshener pad dropped into the blower compartment ? Where the squirrel cage fan is located ? Is it now stuck in the squirrel cage , itself ? I am guessing there is a door or sheet metal panel that will allow access to the fan compartment ?

If all these guesses are correct or mostly correct , were it mine , I would start preparing for a fishing expedition .

If you can not see well , I would get an appropriate trouble lite . If need be , one of the gadgets with a mirror on an extendable handle . And , maybe one of the " grabber " gadgets that allow you to pick up small objects from the floor ( with out bending over ) ?

Might as well be prepared to do come cleaning in there ( if needed ) while you are " fishing " .

God bless
Wyr

Old 06-08-14, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the input, Wry. No photo. System was custom fitted for our condo and installer former owner used rivetted sheet metal plenum from the intake at the top of the unit (downward duct work to crawlspace) without an access door to the blower. I've used a pocket flashlight to look down through the filter slot to the blower. Your suggestion of an articulating light/mirror is a good idea and what I am going to attempt. I think that method of looking into the blower along with a bent hanger with duct tape wrapped with the tacky side out will likely allow me to grab and pull out what I can spot with the mirror. If I have to pull off a side of the plenum I'd prefer to pay someone so I get things sealed back up properly. I don't want to create a more expensive problem.

Thanks!

Peter

Old 06-09-14, 12:30 AM
All the sheet metal panels / sides are pop riveted together ?

If you do not get it out through the filter opening , I would either drill out the pop rivet & remove a panel / side . Or cut a new opening to gain access .

When finished , I would get a piece of sheet metal larger than the new opening . Use something like the double sided foam stickey tape , as a gasket . Install it around the peremeter of the new sheet metal .

Sheet metal screws would allow you to secure the new sheet metal cover & be more easily removable , should the need arise . But you could use pop rivets if you like .

Also , check out

36 in. Pickup and Reach Tool

EZ Reach & Grab Pickup and Reaching Tool

in stead of duct tape on a coat hanger .

God bless
Wyr