Rheem Classic Model RPNE-024JAZ Not Cooling

Old 06-07-14, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rheem Classic Model RPNE-024JAZ Not Cooling

The outside unit for the 2nd floor is having power surges approx. every 60 seconds or so and th fan is not running, although i was able to get it to operate using a stick to help it start but only at a fairly low speed. 2nd floor unit is running but the air is not cool at all.I also have a second larger unit for the first floor and its running fine. unit MFD/FAB is 06/2007. I have a meter but havent checked anything yet, not sure where to begin, a friend tells me its probably a capacitor problem, there is a cylindrical part with a Copeland Scroll name, i am not sure but this may be the pump or compressor, it is dirty but looks okay visually. I have pics of the unit, data label, and electrical diagram and can post if helpful. I would appreciate any help on how to trouble shoot the issues, i am a do it your selfer but have just not had the opportunity to work with AC units much,

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-14, 03:21 PM
Take a picture of the capacitor.

Old 06-08-14, 01:14 PM
A short orange wire was severed from the clip that connects to one of the Capacitor prongs (the one with 4 prongs) I checked on line and seen they were very reasonable and called a local HVAC service guy who happened to be out on a job, I told him i just wanted to buy a capacitor and install it myself. He told me he had several and would sell me one, i text him a pic with the specs and he confirmed he had one and we met at a convenient location and made the transaction, $30 was probably more than i could have picked one up on line for but i was able to get it immediately and its way less than a service call and installation which would have been around $225, I installed it today and the AC is working great and I am a hero for my family I took the opportunity to thoroughly clean the unit while i had it opened, it it such a quiet unit and it seems like Rheem makes quality stuff, I am glad i got it running, I hope this helps someone when they have this issue.

Old 06-08-14, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
it it such a quiet unit and it seems like Rheem makes quality stuff,
Yes they do. That's what I installed for myself.